Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Kelly Yap
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Kelly Yap (WMR-46094)
- Plain stone tablet with convex top. Incised inscription in black and red painted lettering. Laurel branch incised at the top of the tablet. Two corbels support the tablet, each incised with with insignia symbolising the V and A monogram. The left corbel has the initials JC on it for Joseph Cribb and the corbel on the right has the Initials EG on it for Eric Gill.
- VICTORIA AND ALBERT/ MUSEUM/ IN HONOUR OF THOSE/ WHO GAVE THIER LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ SERVING THE KING/ BY LAND AND SEA/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ MCMXIV - MCMXVII/ (Names)/ SET UP BY SUBSCRIPTION OF THE WHOLE STAFF/ IN MEMORY OF THEIR COMRADES 1920
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Adams, J P
Arnott, H F
Bunting, A A
Lawes, J J
See details for all 16 names
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 16
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: Surname, initials of forenames
Order of information: surname
- First World War (1914-1918)
Measurements: height 1525mm, width 660mm
Materials: Stone - Hopton Wood
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
Comments: Gill estimated a nominal sum for the cost of the memorial but the exact cost is not recorded. The memorial was to have been acquired using the Museum's purchase grant but this was not needed as the total was raised through subscriptions.
Memorial: c £10-£20
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Details: Voluntary subscription by museum staff
- Victoria and Albert Museum
- Victoria and Albert Museum A4.1999
- Council or Committee Minutes 05 August 1919
- The Morning Post 01 April 1920
- The Times 14/01 April 1920
- Changing Fashions in Museum Decorations by Physick, J 256
- British Sculpture 1470 to 2000: A Concise Catalogue of the Collection at the Victoria and Albert Museum by Bilbey, Diane with Trusted, Ma 454-455 Published:V&A Publicationa 2002
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]