At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- Two light stained glass window depicting (left) St Michael and (right) St George. Inscription at base. Dedicatory marble tablet below.
- WINDOW: TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919 TABLET: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919/ (Names)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Aldred, William
Berry, Alexander J
Bluer, John B
See details for all 90 names
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 90
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,forename
Order of information: surname THEN forename
- First World War (1914-1918)
Measurements: depth 1IN, height C 46IN, width 20IN
Materials: Stained Glass
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- C 1980'S: THE CHURCH WAS FORMERLY A COF E CHURCH. THE CHURCH WAS MADE REDUNDANT AND WHEN THE LAST VICAR OF THE CHURCH REALISED THAT THE PENTECOSTALS WERE GOING TO ACQUIRE THE BUILDING, HE SMASHED THE MEMORIAL WINDOW AND THE ALABASTER SURROUND TO THE TABLET IN ORDER THAT HE COULD MOVE THE TABLET TO THE ROYAL BRITISH LEGION AS HE FELT THAT THE PENTECOSTALS DID NOT HOLD WITH ARMISTICE DAY. HOWEVER, THE VICAR'S BELIEF WAS FAR FROM THE TRUTH AS ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS THE PENTECOSTALS DID ON MOVING INTO THE CHURCH WAS TO HAVE THE WINDOW RESTORED IN 1988, BASED ON A PHOTOGRAPH IN THE CENTENARY BOOKLET. THEY ALSO RETRIEVED THE TABLET FROM THE ROYAL BRITISH LEGION AND PLACED IT ON THE NORTH WALL OF THE CHURCH. THE WINDOW WAS RESTORED BY DENNIS ECKERSLEY OF BOLTON AT A COST OF £1450.
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- TRUSTEES OF CHRIST CHURCH
- Pamphlet by Henry Shaw "THE HISTORY OF CHRIST CHURCH, PENDLEBURY SOUVENIR BOOKLET"; (1959) Page 36 PLACED IN SALFORD LOCAL STUDIES LIBRARY
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact email@example.com.