At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Chapel: Dedicated within church building
District
Wigan
Town
Atherton
County
Greater Manchester
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
45300
Current location

EAST END OF THE CHURCH
ST JOHN THE BAPTIST CHURCH
Bee Fold La
Atherton
Wigan
Greater Manchester
England

OS Grid Ref: SD 670 030
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
EAST END OF THE CHURCH WAS TURNED INTO A CHAPEL WITH CHOIR SCREEN AND PANELLING. NAMES INSCRIBED ON THE WALL.
Inscription
WW1: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND / IN GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF THOSE OF THIS PARISH / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1918 / THIS CHAPEL IS DEDICATED / (NAMES) WW2: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND / IN GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF THE MEN / OF THIS PARISH WHO / GAVE THEIR LIVES IN / THE WORLD WAR / 1939-1945 / (NAMES)
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Armstrong, George
Ashall, Thomas
Banister, Peter
Banks, Arthur
Banks, Joseph
Barnes, Donald
Barnish, Stephen
Batten, Harry
Battersby, James
Battersby, John
See details for all 128 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 134
    Served and returned: Undefined
    Died: 134
    Exact count: no
    Information shown: surname,forename
    Order of information: Undefined
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 43
    Served and returned: Undefined
    Died: 43
    Exact count: no
    Information shown: surname,forename
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Board
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood - Oak
  • Chapel
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Unknown
Listing information
Condition
History
1991: CHAPEL WAS GUTTED BY ARSON. 1997: CHAPEL REOPENED 2000: NAMES CAN STILL BE DIMLY SEEN. VICAR PLANS TO ERECT A NEW MEMORIAL. ORIGINALS KEPT IN STOARGE; THEY WERE WATER DAMAGED DURING THE FIRE IN THE CHURCH.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-45300

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.