previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Mark Duffy

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Mark Duffy (WMR-44771)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Mark Duffy

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Mark Duffy (WMR-44771)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Cairn
District
Perth And Kinross
Town
St David's, about 1 mile south of Madderty
County
Tayside
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Maker
Mr H J Bell (Architect)
Mr G Christie (Sculptor)
Mr McNiven (Builder)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 25 September 1920
    Attended by: Earl of Ancaster
  • Dedicated
    Date: 25 September 1920
    Attended by: Rev. L. C. M. Wedderburn and the Rev. James Burnet of Madderty
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
44771
Current location

on the South east side of the road just north of the village
St David's
about 1 mile south of Madderty
Perth And Kinross
Tayside
PH7 3PJ
Scotland

OS Grid Ref: NN 95182 20356
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Description
Triangular Whinstone Cairn on base with a pink marble dedication plaque
Inscription
MADDERTY PARISH WAR MEMORIAL/TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN WHO FOUGHT AND FELL/FOR THEIR KING AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919/ (names)/ 1939-1945/(names)/ "THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE"
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Anderson, Peter
Cumming, William
Ferguson, William
Fleet, Thomas H
Gibson, James
Mcculloch, James
Mcintosh, Thomas
Philip, James
Rankin, Joseph
Turrie, John
See details for all 11 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 9
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 9
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames
    Order of information: surname
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 2
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 2
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Cairn
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone - Whinstone
  • Tablet
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Marble - Pink
  • Base
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone - Whinstone
Condition
Costs

Site: NIL
Comments: The site was granted free by Captain Cochrane, D.S.O., Springfield, Cupar, the proprietor of the Madderty Estate

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Responsibility
Madderty Parish Council
Reference
  • warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=278&mforum=warmemscot
  • Dundee Courier - Monday 27 September 1920 www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000164/19200927/029/0002 MADDERTY WAR MEMORIAL UNVEILED. The Madderty Parish War Memorial, which takes the form of a whinstone cairn erected on Madderty Moor, was unveiled on Saturday. The dedication service was conducted Rev. L. C. M. Wedderburn and Rev. Jas. Burnet, Madderty, and the unveiling coremony was performed by the Earl of Ancaster. A lament was played Pipe-Major Kennedy, Perth, and the "Last Post" was sounded Jas. Stewart and H. Macgregror. A short impressive address was delivered by Rev. George Henderson, Monzie, and the custody of the cairn was handed over to Madderty Parish Council.
  • Perthshire Advertiser 29 Sep 1920- MADDERTY MEMORIAL UNVEILED Close to the village of St. David’s, Madderty Moor, forms an ideal setting for the whinstone cairn which has been erected to the memory of the men belonging to the parish of Madderty who fell in the war. The site has been granted free by Captain Cochrane, D.S.O., Springfield, Cupar, the proprietor of the Madderty Estate, and the memorial, as was stated at the dedication ceremony on Saturday, will be a landmark in the parish to illumine the past and inspire the future. The names of the fallen, inscribed on a marble slab on the cairn, are as follows:- Peter Anderson, William Cumming, Wm. Ferguson, James M’Culloch, Thos. M’Intosh, James Philip, Joseph Rankin, John Turpie, and Robert H. MacLagan Wedderburn. Deeply impressive was the dedication service, many of the audience being visibly affected. Mr James Lennox, Redhills, Chairman of the Committee, presided, and those present included:- The Earl of Ancaster; Major Young, Auchterarder; Major Haig, D.S.O., Crieff; Provost Mungall, Crieff; Rev. L. C. M. Wedderburn and Rev. James Burnett, R.G.A.; Rev. George Henderson and Mrs Henderson, Monzie; the Rev. J. C. Muir and Mrs Muir, Fowlis Wester; the Rev. James Brown and Miss Brown, Madderty Manse; the Rev. J. C. Campbell, Tibbermore; the Rev. Mr Logie, Aberdalgie; Mrs Hay, Cultmalundie; Mrs Lennox, Redhills; Mr and Mrs MacLagan, Williamston; Mr and Mrs G. I. Brown, Cloag; Mr and Mrs Anderson, Parkside; Mr and Mrs Cameron, Drumharvie; Mr and Mrs James Young, Bellyclone; Mr J. M. Templeman, schoolmaster, Tibbermore; Mr Ironside, schoolmaster, Madderty; Mr Robertson, Crieff; Miss Kerr, The Abbey; Mrs Elder; Mrs Ritchie, Cowgask; Mr and Mrs James Drummond, Little Fold; Mr David Sim; Mr John M’Intosh; Mr John Graham, Tippermallo; Mr T. W. Reid, Mr Thomas Robertson, and Mr Paton, Methven; Mr M’Lean, Madderty, &c. The Dedication service was conducted by Rev. L. C. M. Wedderburn and the Rev. James Burnet, Madderty, and the unveiling of the monument was performed by the Earl of Ancaster. A Lament was played by Pipe-Major Kennedy, Perth, and “The Last Post” was sounded by James Stewart and H. MacGregor. A short impressive address was delivered by the Rev. George Henderson, Monzie and the custody of the cairn was handed over to Madderty Parish Council by Mr David Sim, Carsehead, a member of the committee, Mr John M’Intosh, Newra, the chairman of the council, formally accepted. A guard of honour was provided by the Madderty Boy Scouts under Lieut. Irvine, and the service of praise was led by the Perth Salvation Army Band. Tribute was paid to the work of the sculptor (Mr G. Christie), architect (Mr H. J. Bell), and contractor (Mr M’Niven) by Mr Lennox, who also voiced the thanks of the gathering to the Earl of Ancaster, while a similar courtesy was extended to the Memorial Committee and the chairman by Provost Mungall, Crieff.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-44771

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.