Memorial details

Memorial type
Pillar / Column
District
Moray
Town
Kirktown Of Deskford
County
Grampian
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Maker
Messers Robertson & son (Stone Carver)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: June 1921
    Attended by: Professor Ashley Mackintosh
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
44590

Support IWM

Donate with Just Giving

Any gift we receive makes a vital contribution to our ongoing work, from conserving our collection to supporting our public programme.

Current location

By roadside of B9018 in front of the chruch
St Johns Church (deconsecrated)
Kirktown Of Deskford
Moray
Grampian
AB56 5TT
Scotland

OS Grid Ref: NJ 50885 61700
Denomination: Church of Scotland

View location on Google Maps
Description
Stone column with domed top. Black Maltese cross at the top centre of the inscription
Inscription
Front-TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOURED AND LOVING MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919/ (NAMES) Rear-ALSO OF/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE WORLD WAR 1939 - 1945/ (names)
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Burns, John
Cruickshank, Alexander
Cruickshank, George
Cruickshank, John
Currie, Edward
Duncan, William
Farquhar, Robert
Fordyce, George
Gray, James
Ingram, James
See details for all 24 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 17
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 17
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, regiment, forename
    Order of information: regiment THEN surname
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 7
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 7
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames, service
    Order of information: service THEN surname
Components
  • Column
    Measurements: height 3048 mm
    Materials: Granite - Kemnay
Condition
History
2010: Installation of 20 foot flag pole 12 feet to the east of the memorial. There is a Saltire flown most days weather permitting and Union Flag for Remembrance events. Also a 3 foot diameter circular flower bed, maintained grass curb and granite curbing in a gothic arch. Iron railings fronting the memorial to the west were repainted from green to black with gold spear tips. Although the church is now converted to a dwelling all visitors are very welcome to visit the memorial 2008: WMT grant of £2172 towards tarmacing the layby to facilitate parking by visitors
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Responsibility
2008 church is now a private residence, whose owners have taken responsibility for maintaining the memorial
Reference

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-44590

For queries, please contact [email protected].