Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Mark Newton 4 June 2016
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Mark Newton 4 June 2016 (WMR-40849)
- (original) Bronze plaque with iluustration of ship to the right of the inscription. Small marble tablet below. The above placed on a small curving wall with figures of a lion at each end. (later plaque) Identical wording to original, but no illustration.
- MAIN PLAQUE: IN MEMORY/ OF/ THE MANY OFFICERS AND/ MEN OF THE ROYAL NAVY &/ ROYAL MARINES, WHO LOST/ THEIR LIVES WHEN THE/ ROYAL GEORGE/ SANK AT SPITHEAD ON/ THE 29TH AUGUST 1732/ AND WHO LIE BURIED/ ALONG THIS SEAFRONT/ AND HERE BY FRIENDS/ UNKNOWN, UNMARKED/ UNWEPT, THEY REST SMALLER PLAQUE: UNVEILED BY/ EARL MOUNTBATTEN OF BURMA/ 31ST AUGUST 1965
- Inscription legible?
- Non-Combat Deaths
Total names on memorial: 0
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: no
Information shown: Undefined
Order of information: Undefined
- Non-Combat Deaths
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- 2006.Original plaque removed and added to Royal George (second memorial): see separate record. c2008-9 Replacement plaque added.
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Isle of Wight Memorials www.isle-of-wight-memorials.org.uk/others/ryderoyalgeorge.htm
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.