At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to email@example.com for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- SCULPTED ABSTRACT GROUP. FOUR FIGURES SUPPORT A WOUNDED, KNEELING FIGURE, THEIR FREE ARMS OUT-STRECHED. TWO OF THE FIGURES HAVE OPEN PALMS IN THE ACT OF FENDING OFF TO PROTECT, AND TWO HAVE THEIR FISTS CLENCHED, EXPRESSING DEFIANT RESISTANCE. SCULPTURE IS MOUNTED ON BLACK STONE PLINTH. INSCRIPTION IN GILT INCISED LETTERING.
- Front face: INTERNATIONAL/ BRIGADE/ IN HONOUR OF OVER 2100 MEN &/ WOMEN VOLUNTEERS WHO LEFT/ THESE SHORES TO FIGHT SIDE/ BY SIDE WITH THE SPANISH PEOPLE/ IN THEIR HEROIC STRUGGLE/ AGAINST FASCISM 1939-1939./ MANY WERE WOUNDED AND/ MAIMED, 526 WERE KILLED/ THEIR EXAMPLE INSPIRED/ THE WORLD 3 o'clock face: "THEY WENT BECAUSE THEIR/ OPEN EYES/ COULD SEE NO OTHER WAY" 9 o'clock face: "YET FREEDOM! YET THY BANNER,/ TORN, BUT FLYING, STREAMS/ LIKE THE THUNDER-STORM/ AGAINST THE WIND" 12 o'clock face: THIS MEMORIAL UNVEILED BY MICHAEL FOOT 5TH OCTOBER/ 1985 WAS MADE POSSIBLE BY/ THE SUPPORT OF MANY/ DEMOCRATIC ORGANISATIONS/ INDIVIDUALS AND THE/ GREATER LONDON COUNCIL.
- Inscription legible?
- Spanish Civil War (1936-1939)
Total names on memorial: 0
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: Undefined
Order of information: Undefined
- Spanish Civil War (1936-1939)
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- INTERNATIONAL BRIGADE SPANISH CIVIL WAR
- WMO ID: 85341
- Condition: Good [last updated on 21-03-2018]
- Help update these details if the condition is wrong
- July 2012: Plaque (IWM-WMA 65775) added in front of memorial.
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- MEMORIALS OF THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR by WILLIAMS ET AL 4-5 Source: Image Library NIWM Published:ALAN SUTTON PUBLISHING LTD 1996 STROUD
- Local Publication/Booklet No.33 (Autumn-Winter 2012) p.1 'International Brigade Memorial Trust Newsletter'
- The Guardian 14 July 2000 Obituary of Bill Alexander (1910-2000), last commander of British battalion of International Brigade and for over 30 years honorarysecretary of the International Brigade Association, which has sponsored many memorials to the Spanish Civil War.
- Our Blog ukniwm.wordpress.com/2008/03/07/last-scottish-veteran-of-spanish-civil-war-dies/
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.