previous
next
  • Orphan work

    The source of this image is unknown and is shared as an orphan work.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Garden
District
Hertsmere
Town
Potters Bar
County
Hertfordshire
Country
England
Commemoration
Second World War (1939-1945)
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: 5 September 1948
    Attended by: Reverend Andrew Robinson, Vicar, St Mary's Church; detachment of local sea cadets under Sub-Lieut. Taylor; "E" Battery, 3rd Cadet Regiment (Herts Yeomanry), RA, commanded by Lieut. A J Hillard
  • Rededicated
    Date: 17 November 2002
    Attended by: Reverend Robert Desics and Reverend Gareth Randall, St Mary's Church
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
3763
Current location

Located in the Garden of Remembrance by the Mutton Lane Cemetery.
The Garden of Remembrance
Mutton Lane
Potters Bar
Hertsmere
Hertfordshire
EN6 2NU
England

OS Grid Ref: TL 25554 00896
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Description
Stone tablet inscribed with plantin lettering atop a base formed from individual slabs of stones stacked together.
Inscription
PRISONER OF WAR / GARDEN OF / REMEMBRANCE / 1939-1945 / (names)
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Eke, H E
Jacobi, H C
Le Good, S
Lewis, D
Parr, A W
Roberts, T J
Sherwood, Ian
Wignall, A E
See details for all 8 names
Commemorations
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 8
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 8
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Rank, forename initials, surname, regiment
    Order of information: No order
Components
  • Memorial
    Measurements: depth 510 mm, height 1120 mm, width 1020 mm
    Materials: Stone
Listing information
Condition
History
Shortly after the memorial's dedication on 5 September 1948 the memorial was vandalised. The memorial was disfigured with yellow paint, partly obliterating the names; the perpetrators were never found. The stone was removed for cleaning and possibly re-dressed.
Costs

Comments: Land for the memorial was provided by St Mary's Parochial Church Council.

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Private
Details: The Potters Bar and Little Heath Prisoners'-of-Wars Fund, begun in 1940 by Cllr. Mrs. Kathleen Maude Gregory.
Reference
  • Barnet Press 13 November 1948: "The Garden of Remembrance was provided by Potters Bar and Little Heath Prisoners of War Fund and was dedicated last September." The Press Potters Bar Edition, 21 November 2002 Welwyn & Hatfield Times, Wednesday, November 27, 2002, page 12 Hertsmere Park Amenities: Issue 16, September 2007, extract on page 3

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-3763

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.