previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Phil Rogers Photography, Rhos on Sea

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Phil Rogers Photography, Rhos on Sea (WMR-37054)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
Arfon
Town
Caernarfon
County
Gwynedd
Country
Wales
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 15th September 1922
    Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries
  • Dedicated
    Date: 15th September 1922
    Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
37054
Current location

In the lobby entrance
"The Old Courthouse"
Castle Ditch
Caernarfon
Arfon
Gwynedd
LL55 2AU
Wales

OS Grid Ref: SH 47734 62710
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • Old Police Station
    Caernarfon
    Arfon
    Gwynedd
    Wales

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: Undefined
Description
Rectangular brass plaque, with concave corners and the Carnarvonshire Constabulary crest at top-centre, mounted on a black painted stone. The incised inscription is mainly in black lettering, but the names of the casualties and some initial lettering is red.
Inscription
IN MEMORY OF/ GREAT WAR 1914 TO 1918./ (NAMES)/ "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS."
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Evans, S
Jones, D L
Jones, R
Morris, R
Orris, T C
Roberts, R O
Thomas, J L
See details for all 7 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 7
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 7
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Army service number, rank, initials, surname, Battalion, Regiment, nature of death, place of death, date of death
    Order of information: Mainly chronological by date of death
Components
  • Backboard
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone
  • Plaque
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Brass
Condition
History
5/8/2020: "The Old Courthouse" opened as a music venue and restaurant, in whose lobby the memorial now hangs on display. / February 2018: The converted former Court building was purchased for redevelopment as a business premises. / 2009: The Magistrates and Crown Court (in which the memorial had been installed) closed. The premises was subsequently bought by a developer and converted into a private dwelling. / 2000: It was observed that there was some staining of the plaque, and the black paint was peeling from the stone backboard.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-37054

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.