At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- LARGE TABLET. SURMOUNTED BY TAPERING STONE MOUNT, TOPPED WITH URN. TABLET SURMOUNTS ON TWO-STEPPED BASE DECORATIVE RELIEF ON TAPERING PART OF TABLET OF CROSSED FLAGS AND OTHER MILITARIA.
- SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF/ RALPH BURTON ESQ./ COLONEL OF THE 3RD REG OF INFANTRY/ MAJOR GENERAL OF HIS MAJESTYS FORCES AND MEMBER OF THE/ HOUSE OF COMMONS/ WHO HAVING DEDICATED HIMSELF FROM HIS EARLIEST YOUTH TO THE PROFESSION OF/ ARMS. QUITTED HIS NATIVE COUNTRY TO TAKE PART IN A RUDE AND SAVAGE WAR./ BEGUN ON THE CONTINENT OF AMERICA AD 1754./ WHERE DURING TWELVE SEVERE CAMPAIGNS HE SHEWED A MOST UNWEARIED ZEAL/ AND FIRM COURAGE AT THE CLOSE OF WAR./ UNASSISTED BY PARTY BUT KNOWN TO COURT BY HIS DISTINGUISHED SERVICES./ HE WAS HONOURED BY HIS SOVEREIGN./ WITH THE COMMAND OF CANADA. APPOINTED COLONEL OF THE 3RD/ REG. LIEUT GOVENOR OF MONTREAL AND MAJOR GENERAL WITH EVERY TALENT/ THAT COULD FIT HIM FOR THE MOST SOILSOME FATIGUES OF WAR./ HE POSSESSED/ A PECULIAR COMPLACENCY OF MANNER WHICH RENDERED HIM MOST AMIABLE./ IN PRIVATE LIFE HE WAS MOST AFFECTIONATE HUSBAND A TENDER PARENT AND A WARM/ FIRM (?). THE LIFE OF THIS MOST VALUABLE MAN ESTEEMED BY HIS KING USEFUL TO HIS COUNTRY. EVER REGRETTED BY HIS FRIENDS ENDED SEPTEMBER THE 24TH 1768.
- Inscription legible?
- Non-Combat Deaths
Total names on memorial: 1
Served and returned: Undefined
Exact count: no
Information shown: rank,year died,regiment,place of death,forename,age of death,relationships,decorations
Order of information: Undefined
- Non-Combat Deaths
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- HULL & YORKSHIRE MILITARY MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS VOL 1 by MANN, M & M Source: Image Library NIWM Published:HOME 1991 HULL
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact email@example.com.