• Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Rachel Farrand

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Rachel Farrand (WMR-34063)

    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Hospital / Clinic
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
J.A. & T. Hedley, Joiners, Cabinet Makers, St.Mary’s Chare, Hexham. (Makers)
  • Opened
    Date: 29th September 1921
    Attended by: HRH Prince Henry
  • Dedicated
    Date: 2001
    Attended by: Undefined
  • Dedicated
    Date: 29 Sep 1921
    Attended by: Rev. J.V.C. Farquhar, B.A.
  • Show More (2)
Not lost
WM Reference
Current location

on the wall of the passage leading to the chapel.
Hexham General Hospital
A695 at the east end of Priestpopple; opposite the new (November 2016) bus station
NE46 1QJ

OS Grid Ref: NY 93974 63929
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • In the War Memorial Room
    which was on the right of the main entrance to the hospital.
    St Wilfrid's Memorial Hospital
    NE46 1BH

    OS Grid Ref: NY 93596 63777
    Denomination: Undefined
St. Wilfrid's Memorial Hospital (formerly a private house owned by Col. Jasper Gibson) which, when opened as a Cottage Hospital, had a male ward with 6 beds, a female ward with 6 beds, a ward with 4 children's cots, an operating theatre and X-ray room. The WW1 Board is a wooden board set into a purpose-built stone surround (in the old hospital). At the top is an integral carved laurel wreath, above which the words "Roll of Honour" are written in an arch in black lettering with red shadowing. On either side of the wreath are the dates "1914" and "1918" each in a scroll. Names are listed in three columns, using black Roman capitals with red initials. At the bottom is another scroll bearing the words "Is it nothing to all ye who pass by" . The board is set into a panel, flanked on either side by narrow panels bearing the names of those who subscribed to the hospital. Over all is a lintel, set into the plaster wall, which bears the dedication, incised in the plaster and painted gold. On either side of the board is a narrower board which gives names by year. These are said to be the names of either the Chairmen of the Hospital Committee or the main donors of funds to the hospital. The inscriptions are all in upper case lettering, with red initials. Facing the board is a glass case holding the Standard of the British Legion, which was superseded when the Legion became the Royal British Legion in 1971. The WW2 board is made of three vertical panels framed with a very narrow plain frame. Names are painted in black serif capitals, with initial letters painted in red, in three columns. The words "Roll of Honour" are in black shadowed with red. The dates "1939" and "1945" are also in black shadowed with red, each inside a scroll.
WW1 Board-ON LINTEL: AND LOVE LIVES ON, AND HATH A POWER TO BLESS/ WHEN THEY WHO LOVED ARE HIDDEN IN THE GRAVE ON BOARD: ROLL OF HONOUR/ 1914/ 1918/ (NAMES)/ IS IT NOTHING TO ALL YE WHO PASS BY WW2 Board: ROLL OF HONOUR/ 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES) Plaque at old hospital site-Hexham War Memorial/Hospital 1923-1998/previously stood on this site,/purchased by public subscription to honour the/Fallen of the Great War/1914-1918
Inscription legible?
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 229
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 229
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,forename
    Order of information: surname
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 100
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 100
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,forename
    Order of information: surname
  • Frame
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone
  • First World War memorial
    Measurements: height 2900mm, width 1200mm
    Materials: Wood
  • Second World War memorial
    Measurements: height 1540mm, width 1530mm
    Materials: Wood
  • Tablet
    Measurements: depth 30mm, height 450mm, width 600mm
    Materials: Stone
Listing information
HOSPITAL SURVEYED IN 1989 AND 1991 AND DESCRIBED AS GOOD CONDITION. Hospital closed 1/4/1995 and later demolished.

Site: £15,000
Comments: The Elswick and Scotswood Workmen's War Relief Fund provided equipment for the hospital. £2,000 was given from surplus Red Cross funds, and they also supplied an ambulance. Viscount Allendale gave £250. Ralph Hedley made the WW1 memorial board which cost £14/13/9d. Page 325 of their day book reads “1921. The Hospital. Aug22. To making the Memorial board &c. £7/10/0; To 40 sq.ft. x ¾ oak @ 2/6 = £5/00/0; To 20ft x 5 x 7/8 P. 5/-. 25 ft x 1½” mould 6/3 = 11/ 3d; Sept. 5 To getting out oak for carving 18” x 14½ x 1½ = 6s Sept.26 To fitting up do. 24/6 = £1.6.6 Pd Oct 28/21 £14.13 9d.

Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: After opening After that it was probably handed over to a trust to run it; it had a separate endowment to fund it. 1948. It was taken over under the National Health Act, with all the other properties which had been used for health purposes. 1974 It was taken into the Local Health Authority. Some money was paid by the Government into an independent Trust Fund by way of compensation. Northumberland had some £500,000 invested in a fund and paid out money arising from the income. Hexham had a variation of the Order for the original endowment from the Charity Commissioners to use the money from the Trust Fund to make improvements to health services in Hexham, such as installing the hydrotherapy pool in the General Hospital. The St. Wilfrid’s Hospital building was probably owned by the R.V.I. and Associated Hospitals Trust and when it was sold they would have to sell it for a realistic price, on a valuation set by the District Valuer. A similar instance was the Charlotte Straker Hospital, Corbridge which was sold for a favourable price because of its intended use, rather than by auction or to the highest tender. Geoffrey Whitehouse, sometime Chairman of the Local Health Authority, 23rd Jan. 1995
  • Hexham Courant Supplement Saturday, 1st October 1921; Hexham Courant 1919/1920 passim reports fund raising; 27/3/1920 reports donation of equipment; 27/9/1996 reports petition to save the hospital; 30/11/2001 reports unveiling of stone on site of hospital with photo;
  • The Journal 10/1/95 reports debate on new place for memorials; 11/1/95 reports no room in the Abbey for them, and the monastic workshop was also considered; 13/1/95 reports death of campaigner on eve of meeting to discuss future location; 27/6/1995 reports naming of street in France in honour of Arthur Gardner-Arthur Gardner, who led the campaign to have the memorial rolls moved to somewhere suitable, died on the eve of the decision to put them in storage and to rehouse them them in the new hospital when built. In June 1995 a street in France was named “Rue Captain Arthur Gardner” in his honour.
  • Alan Grint has researched the names on the Hexham memorials in his book The Faith and Fire Within, 2006, Ergo Press ISBN 0955275814
  • Hexham Weekly News 7/2/1919 reports proposals; 13/5/1921 reports thanks for various gifts; 1/7/1921 reports opening of the hospital to patients “on Monday next” and describes the hospital and its layout; 30/9/1921 reports opening;
  • Illustrated Chronicle 28/8/1919 reports purchase of house with photo; 26/9/1921 reports Prince Henry coming to open the hospital; 30/9/1921 reports opening with photos.
  • Alnwick & County Gazette 10/1/1920 reports having raised £10,000, inc. £2,000 surplus from the Red Cross.
  • (for the hospital general notes) (for the WW1 board)-also has a transcript of the names list (for the WW2 board)-also has a transcript of the names list
  • WMSH51.8

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-34063

For queries, please contact [email protected]