previous
next
  • Orphan work

    The source of this image is unknown and is shared as an orphan work.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Gate
District
South Ribble
Town
Samlesbury
County
Lancashire
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
Messrs Langsham & Sons, Mr JA Seward
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 20 March 1926
    Attended by: Mrs Broadhead- wife of the late Vicar who headed the project
  • Dedicated
    Date: 20 March 1926
    Attended by: Bishop Suffragan of Whalley
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
3390
Current location

Gate outside church and plaque inside
Church of St Leonard the Less
Potter Lane
Samlesbury
South Ribble
Lancashire
PR5 0UE
England

OS Grid Ref: SD 58986 30362
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
Stone lych gate and driveway. Plaque in church.
Inscription
ST LEONARD THE LESS, SAMLESBURY / TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN HONOURED MEMORY / OF THE BRAVE MEN CONNECTED WITH THIS CHURCH / & PARISH WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919 / & WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED BELOW THIS TABLET / RECORDING THE ERECTION OF A LYCH GATE / IS DEDICATED. THE WHOLE OF THE FUNDS TOGETHER / WITH THE PURCHASE OF LANDS FOR THE NEW APPROACH / TO THE CHURCH WAS RAISED ENTIRELY THROUGH THE ZEAL / & ENERGY OF THE LATE REV.T.WRIGHT BROADHEAD M.A. / VICAR FROM DEC 1913 TO JAN 1925. / (NAMES) / "THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE" / "MAY THEY REST IN PEACE"
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Barnett, Herbert
Brown, Thomas
Crossley, William E
Daley, William J
Eaves, John J
Knight, John
Mason, Herbert
Newton, Miles
Shillitoe, William
Taylor, Fred
See details for all 12 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 12
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 12
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Forename, intitials, surname
    Order of information: Alphabetically by surname
Components
  • Gate
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone, Wood
  • Plaque
    Measurements: depth 17.5mm, height 620mm, width 810mm
    Materials: Bronze
Listing information
Condition
History
New guttering installed in 1977 and roofing flags repaired in 1990. Woodwork given a coat of preservative every year.
Costs

Memorial: £532

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Other
Details: The Parish county council
Responsibility
PCC

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-3390

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.