Memorial details

Memorial type
Trophy / Relic
District
Blyth Valley
Town
Blyth
County
Northumberland
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 26 September 1979
    Attended by: Rear Admiral R R SQUIRES
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
33570

Support IWM

Donate with Just Giving

Any gift we receive makes a vital contribution to our ongoing work, from conserving our collection to supporting our public programme.

Current location

In the Garden of Remembrance
St Mary's Church
Wanley Street
Blyth
Blyth Valley
Northumberland
NE24 1DP
England

OS Grid Ref: NZ 31243 81496
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • In the South West Corner
    Market Place
    Blyth
    Blyth Valley
    Northumberland
    England

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: Undefined
Description
ANCHOR FROM H.M.S. TIPTOE ON ROUGH HEWN ANGLED PLINTH WITH INSET PLAQUES
Inscription
UNVEILED BY REAR ADMIRAL R.R. SQUIRES/ FLAG OFFICER SUBMARINES/ 26TH SEPTEMBER 1979/ THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY BLYTH VALLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL/ TO COMMEMORATE THE LONG ASSOCIATON BETWEEN THE SUBMARINE SERVICE AND/ BLYTH, ESTABLISHED IN 1914 AND STRENGTHENED THROUGH TWO WORLD WARS
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Plinth
    Measurements: depth 1800mm, height 300mm, width 900mm
    Materials: Stone
  • Plaques
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Bronze
  • Trophy / Relic
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Cast Iron
Listing information
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Responsibility
NORTH EAST BRANCH OF THE SUBMARINERS ASSOCIATION (was Blyth Valley Council at the original site)
Reference
  • www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6635
  • News Post Leader 20 April 1995 reports the relocation with a photograph
  • News Post Leader 12 May 1994 reports the proposed move
  • Blyth News 27 September 1979 reports the unveiling at the Market Place, and the granting of Freedom of the Borough to HMS Onslaught

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-33570

For queries, please contact [email protected].