previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Janet Brown

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Janet Brown (WMR-33463)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
Berwick Upon Tweed
Town
Ford
County
Northumberland
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Faculty Granted
    Date: 14th February 1920
    Attended by: UNKNOWN
  • Dedicated
    Date: 22nd August1920
    Attended by: Dedicated by Bishop Neligan, Rector of Ford.
  • Unveiled
    Date: 22nd August1920
    Attended by: Lord Joicey.
  • Show More (2)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
33463
Current location

ON THE SOUTH WALL OF THE NAVE
ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS CHURCH
Ford
Berwick Upon Tweed
Northumberland
TD15 2PX
England

OS Grid Ref: NT 94461 37445
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
ORNATE NOWY-HEADED MARBLE TABLET WITH FIGURE IN THE CENTRE FLANKED BY TWO COLUMNS AND NAMES OF THE FALLEN. INCISED DEDICATORY INSCRIPTION AT THE BASE OF THE CENTRE PANEL. The central panel is a picture of St. George standing in an arched frame which echoes the shape of the monument. Underneath, the name of St. George is incised in large Roman capitals and painted gold. On either side of the picture is a black marble pillar. The background of the whole monument is green marble. The panels bearing the names on either side are of white marble. The names are in Roman capitals, with the ranks and regiments given underneath in upper and lower case Roman letters, all lettering incised and painted brown. In another panel below the picture is the dedication, incised in Roman capitals and painted gold.
Inscription
CENTRE: TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ THE PARISH OF FORD WHO MADE THE/ SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1919 LEFT AND RIGHT SIDES: (NAMES)
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Alexander, John
Blain, James
Brown, James Ayton
Gallon, Thomas
Gibson, John Henry
Hanry, Smith
Hardie, James
Henderson, Hgk
Hutchison, George
Johnstone, James
See details for all 19 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 19
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 19
    Exact count: no
    Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,forename
    Order of information: surname,forename,rank,regiment
Components
  • Pillar
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Marble - Black
  • Tablet
    Measurements: height 2550MM, width 1860MM
    Materials: Marble - White, Marble - Green
Listing information
  • CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
  • Grade II*
  • This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
  • More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
  • Historic England
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • ALNWICK AND COUNTY GAZETTE by N/A 28-08-1920 Source: Media Library Published:N/A ALNWICK, NORTHUMBERLAND
  • WMSF23.1
  • NEWCASTLE DAILY JOURNAL by N/A 24/07/1920 23/08/1920 Source: Media Library Published:N/A NEWCASTLE

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-33463

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.