At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- NOWY-HEADED WHITE MARBLE INSCRIPTION TABLET SET WITHIN AN ORNATE ALABASTER FRAME. INSCRIPTION TABLET FLANKED BY TWO BLACK MARBLE COLUMNS SUPPORTING A BLACK MARBLE FRIEZE AND AND ORNATE BROKEN-NECKED PEDIMENT. COLUMNS SUPPORTED BY A BRACKET WITH MARBLE FACING BETWEEN COLOURED FAMILY CREST AT THE TOP CENTRE OF THE FRAME AND COLOURED REGIMENTAL CREST AT THE BOTTOM CENTRE OF THE FRAME
- SACRED/ TO THOSE VIRTUES WHICH ADORN A CHRISTIAN AND A/ SOLDIER. THIS MONUMENT ERECTED BY PUBLIC/ DONATIONS, PERPETUATES THE MEMORY OF/ LIEUT-COLONEL PERCY ARCHER CLIVE OF WHITFIELD/ ELDEST SON OF MEYSEY AND LADY KATHERINE CLIVE/ BORN IN 1873 AND EDUCATED AT ETON AND SANDHURST/ HE REPRESENTED SOUTH HEREFORDSHIRE IN PARLIAMENT/ FOR SIXTEEN YEARS. HE WAS ALSO A DEPUTY LIEUTENANT/ JUSTICE OF THE PEACE AND A COUNTY ALDERMAN. IN HIS/ PUBLIC LIFE HE WAS COURAGEOUS, NOBLE HEARTED AND/ SELF SACRIFICING AND HE DIED A GALLANT DEATH IN THE/ CAUSE OF FREEDOM. HE ENTERED THE GRENADIER GUARDS/ IN 1891, SERVED WITH DISTINCTION IN THE NIGER FIELD/ FORCE 1898, IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN CAMPAIGN 1899-1901,/ AND THROUGHOUT THE GREAT WAR UNTIL THE DAY OF/ HIS DEATH. DURING THE GREAT WAR HE WAS FIRST A/ COMPANY COMMANDER IN HIS OLD BATTALION OF THE EAST/ YORKSHIRE REGIMENT AND LASTLY THE 5TH BATTALION/ LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS. HE WAS TWICE MENTIONED/ IN DESPATCHES CREATED A CHEVALIER OF THE LEGION/ OF HONOUR AND AWARDED THE CROIX DE GUERRE/ TWICE WOUNDED HE RECOVERED AND WAS KILLED/ AT THE VILLAGE OF BUCQUOY 5TH APRIL 1918/ IN THE ACT OF RESCUING A WOUNDED COMRADE./ "ALL HE HAD HOPED FOR, ALL HE HAD, HE GAVE -/ TO SAVE MANKIND, HIMSELF HE SCORNED TO SAVE"
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Clive, Percy Archer
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 1
Served and returned: Undefined
Exact count: no
Information shown: rank,year died,regiment,place of death,forename,manner of death,age of death,relationships,occupation,additional,decorations
Order of information: Undefined
- First World War (1914-1918)
Materials: Marble - Black
Materials: Marble - White
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- WELLINGTON JOURNAL & SHREWSBURY NEWS by N/A 6, COL 4 Source: Media Library Published:N/A WELLINGTON, SHROPSHIRE
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact email@example.com.