At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- Leather bound Book of Remembrance with gold tooling on the cover.
- Cover: BOROUGH OF STRETFORD/ BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE/ 1914 - 1918 Front page: T"hese men having set a crown of immortal glory/ on their own land were folded in the dark cloud/ of death. Yet being being dead, they have not died,/ seeing their fame in battle hath raised them up for ever/ from Forgetting and the Grave/ (Written over the Spartan dead at Platea.)/ BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE/ In all too brief a fashion this Book records the names and/ regiments of the 580 men of Stretford who gave their lives/ for the homeland, for friend and for freedom in the Great War, 1914-1918./ Stretford is proud to remember the spirit and heroism of/ these fallen sons of hers, and, though she thinks it through/ tears, is proud that in that last and sternest test they did/ not fail or falter./ Their great sacrifice in defence of Right against Wrong for ever/ stands out as a beacon light to future generations, and through/ years of time we are proud to remember with gratitude and/ with love those noble lives./ This memorial is thus dedicated to the sacred memory of our/ Glorious Dead./ "Each soldier's name,/ Shall shine untarnished on the scrolls of fame/ And stand th' example of each distant age,/ And add new lustre to th' historic page."/ Humphreys Nextpages: (Description and image of the memorial) Remaining pages: (NAMES)
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Allen, Oswald
Allen, Thomas W
Ashton, James Ewart
Astbury, John R
Atkin, S E
See details for all 589 names
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 580
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,forename
Order of information: Undefined
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Re-location likely June 2006 - see file
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Trafford MBC
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact email@example.com.