At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please upload it via our image upload form for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
Support the IWM War Memorial Register
Since 1988 IWM's War Memorials Register has been creating a national register of UK war memorials and the names of the individuals they commemorate. IWM needs your support to ensure that we can add to and maintain our these important records.
- Large, virtually flush, wall mounted, portrait orientated memorial incorporating a highly decorative and colourful moulded frame. Within the upper recessed section of the memorial is a narrow banded array of national flags and shields of England, Ireland and Scotland, occupying the top and sides of a moulded border, in turn, enclosing a raised scene comprising a central haloed figure of Christ upon a gold cross flanked by haloed standing figures of, to the left, Mary with arms crossed over her chest and to the right, a Disciple holding a book. Two, black Latin scripted - gold banner scrolls, angled upwards, are each behind Mary and the Disciple. A sailor in the left foreground and a soldier in the right foreground are both kneeling and praying before Christ. Below this scene, are incised inscriptions and names on what appears to be brass.
- When Thou hadst overcome the sharpness of death / Thou didst open the Kingdom of Heaven to all believers. / + IN LOVING MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM / THIS PARISH WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES / FOR KING AND COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918 / (82 NAMES in 3 columns) / We therefore pray Thee, help Thy servants / whom Thou hast redeemed with Thy precious blood.
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Abbs, Thomas
See details for all 82 names
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 82
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: Forename, surname
Order of information: Surname
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Listing information
- St Frideswide's Church Parishioners
- WMO ID: 269775
- Condition: Undefined [last updated on 04-02-2020]
- Help update these details if the condition is wrong
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Web-link to Oxford History, St. Frideswide's Church memorial page. www.oxfordhistory.org.uk/war/stfrideswide/index.html
- Oxford Illustrated Journal 26 April 1922, p6
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]