Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: David Blunden
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © David Blunden (WMR-32010)
- Grey marble tablet inset into a small shrine with red marble surround bearing grey roses. Relief of an aeroplane above the inscription above which a Cross on a wreath.
- IN DEEP RESPECT FOR THE MEMORY OF/ LIEUT. C.A. BETTINGTON & SECOND-LIEUT E. HOTCHKISS/ OF THE ROYAL FLYING CORPS, WHO MET THEIR DEATHS/ IN THE WRECK OF A MONOPLANE 100 YARDS NORTH OF THIS SPOT/ ON TUESDAY SEPT. 10 1912/ SYMPATHISERS IN OXFORD AND WOLVERCOTE TO THE NUMBER/ OF 2226 HAVE ERECTED THIS STONE AS A TRIBUTE TO THE/ BRAVERY OF THESE TWO BRITISH OFFICERS WHO LOST THEIR/ LIVES IN THE FULFILMENT OF THEIR DUTY
- Inscription legible?
- Non-Combat Deaths
Total names on memorial: 2
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,year died,regiment,place of death,forename,manner of death,additional
Order of information: Undefined
- Non-Combat Deaths
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Carter Postcard Collection
- Aviation Landmarks by Gardner, Jean p.25 Published:Battle of Britain Prints International Limited 1990 London Unveiled by Maj. Brooke-Popham, CO of No.3 Sqn, RFC.
- Oxford Mail 15 Sep. 1998 Memory Lane feature.
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]