Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Matthew Duriez
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Matthew Duriez (WMR-2928)
- Nowy-headed metal plaque attached to rock above wooden seat. Embossed lettering. Badge of Royal Engineers embossed within Nowy head. Two sprays of 'mares tails' embossed in bottom right and left hand corners.
- IN LOVING MEMORY OF / CAPTAIN NIGEL DUNCAN RATCLIFFE HUNTER, M.C. (AND BAR)/ ROYAL ENGINEERS/ WHO WAS KILLED IN ACTION AT BIEFVILLERS,/ NEAR BAPAUME ON MARCH 25TH 1918, AGED 23 YEARS./ HE LOVED THE MOORS OF DEVON, AND ON HIS LAST VISIT/ TO LYDFORD, HE WROTE THE FOLLOWING LINES:-/ ARE WE NOT LIKE THIS MOORLAND STREAM/ SPRINGING NONE KNOWS WHERE FROM,/ TINKLING, BURBLING, FLASHING AGLEAM/ BACK AT THE SUN; ERE LONG/ GLOOMY AND DULL, UNDER A CLOUD,/ THEN RUSHING ONWARDS AGAIN:/ DASHING AT ROCKS WITH ANGER LOUD,/ ROARING AND FOAMING IN VAIN?/ WANDERING THUS FOR MANY A MILE/ TWISTING AND TURNING AWAY FOR A WHILE/ THEN OF A SUDDEN 'TIS OVER THE FALL/ AND THE DARK STILL POOL IS THE END OF ALL./ "IS IT" I THOUGHT AS I TURNED AWAY/ AND I TURNED AGAIN TO THE SILENT MOOR./ "IS IT?" I SAID, AND MY HEART SAID "NAY!"/ AS I GAZED AT THE CROSS ON WIDGERY TOR.
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Hunter, Nigel Duncan Ratcliffe
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 1
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,year died,regiment,place of death,forename,manner of death,age of death,additional,decorations
Order of information: Undefined
- First World War (1914-1918)
Measurements: height 480mm, width 620mm
Materials: Cast Iron
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Capt N D R Hunter War Memorial
- WMO ID: 241819
- Condition: Undefined [last updated on 21-11-2017]
- Help update these details if the condition is wrong
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- The Kings England Series by Mee, Arthur Devonshire (1938) p.262 Quotes Capt Hunter's poem.
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact email@example.com.