At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please upload it via our image upload form for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
Support the IWM War Memorial Register
Since 1988 IWM's War Memorials Register has been creating a national register of UK war memorials and the names of the individuals they commemorate. IWM needs your support to ensure that we can add to and maintain our these important records.
- PEAL OF TEN BELLS, ALL ENGRAVED
- (TREBLE BELL) "FOR UNTO YOU IS PARADISE OPENED THE CITY BUILDED AND REST ALOUD" FROM HIS DESOLATE WIFE, IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND SIR J. ARTHUR GOODWIN, 1ST LORD MAYOR OF BRADFORD, DIED APRIL 29TH 1921 AGE 68 (SECOND BELL) "PRAISE TO THE HOLIEST IN THE HEIGHT" IN REVERENT THANKSGIVING OF OUR IMMORTAL DEAD, FROM THE MEMBERS OF THE CATHEDRAL CHOIR, HENRY COATES, ORGANIST AND CHOIR MASTER (THIRD BELL) "HIS SERVANTS SERVE HIM DAY & NIGHT IN HIS TEMPLE"/ IN MEMORY OF EDWARD BILLSON, PRESENTED BY HIS DEVOTED WIDOW SARAH BILLSON (FOURTH BELL) "LOVEST THOU ME, FEED MY LAMBS" ST JOHN 21.15/ THE OFFERING OF THE TEACHERS AND SCHOLARS OF THE CATHEDRAL SUNDAY SCHOOL IN GRATITUDE FOR THE HERITAGE & FREEDOM WON BY OUR SPLENDID MEN (FIFTH BELL) "LABOURERS TOGETHER WITH GOD" 1 COR. 3.9. THIS BELL WAS GIVEN BY THE SIDESMEN OF THE CATHEDRAL IN THANKSGIVING FOR THE BLESSING OF VICTORY & PEACE (SIXTH BELL) "HE ASKED LIFE OF THEE AND THOU GAVEST HIM A LONG LIFE, EVEN FOR EVER & EVER" BS 21.4/ IN MEMORY OF EDWARD ALEXANDER SHEPHERD, CAPTAIN OF THE 4TH/5TH BATTALION THE BLACK WATCH, KILLED SEPT 3RD 1916 AT BEAUMONT HAMEL AGE 41. PRESENTED BY ELIZABETH MITCHELL (SEVENTH BELL) "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS"/ TO PLACE ON RECORD OUR LOVE & GRATITUDE TO THE MEN OF THIS CHURCH AND PARISH WHO PAID THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE WAR 1914 - 1918 GIVEN BY THE MOTHERS OF BRADFORD (EIGHTH BELL) "EXCEPT THE LORD KEEP THE CITY, THE WATCHMAN WAKETH BUT IN VAIN" PSALM CXXVII/ TO COMMEMORATE THE MEN OF THE CITY OF BRADFORD WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918 ANTHONY GADIE LORD MAYOR 1921 KING GEORGE V (NINTH BELL) "TE DEUM LAUDAMUS" IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THE DIOCESE OF BRADFORD WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR 1914 - 1918/ ARTHUR WILLIAM THOMAS PERONNE D.D. 1ST BISHOP OF BRADFORD (TENOR BELL) (NIWM 28877)
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Shepherd, Edward Alexander
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 0
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: no
Information shown: Undefined
Order of information: Undefined
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]