At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Church Fabric / Fitting: Reredos or screen
District
Sheffield
Town
Abbeydale
County
South Yorkshire
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: 11 July 1920
    Attended by: Bishop Morley
  • Rededicated
    Date: 25 April 2010
    Attended by: Bishop of Sheffield
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
27927
Current location

The nearby St Peter's Church was demolished and the congregation joined St Oswlad's Church.
St Peter and St Oswalds Church
Junction Of Abbeydale Rd And Bannerdale Rd
Abbeydale
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
S7 2DE
England

OS Grid Ref: SK 341 839
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
Oak rood screen with dedicatory inscription carved in relief along the top of the panels and the names painted below onto the panels in gold lettering with black outline. WW2 names painted onto the side panels bordering the aisle.
Inscription
Front panels: ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THIER LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918/ (Names) Side panels: (WW2 Names)
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Allen, L
Allen, P H
Austin, W
Beedham, L
Bell, J D
Bishop, H
Bishop, M
Bolsover, F
Booth, G
Brearley, A
See details for all 93 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 93
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 93
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname
    Order of information: surname
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 7
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 7
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Rood
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood - Oak
Listing information
Condition
History
2010: As part of the refurbishment of the church, the rood screen was moved from the chancel to beside the baptistry to make an entrance way into the main body of the church.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Sheffield Daily Telegraph 11 July 1920
  • Unveiling Programme/ Order of Service 25 April 2010

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-27927

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.