At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
Sheffield
Town
Hillsborough
County
South Yorkshire
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: C 19th April 1922
    Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
27554
Current location

HILLSBOROUGH TABERNACLE CHURCH
Proctor Place
Hillsborough
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
England

OS Grid Ref: SK 320 900
Denomination: Nonconformist

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • UNITED GOSPEL & MISSION CHURCH
    Proctor Place
    Hillsborough
    Sheffield
    South Yorkshire
    England

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: Undefined
Description
Bronze plaque set into light oak frame. Inscription in black and red lettering.
Inscription
TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ THIS TABLET WAS ERECTED BY MEMBERS OF THIS CHURCH AND CONGREGATION/ IN GRATEFUL AND HONOURED MEMORY OF THOSE FELLOW MEMBES/ WHO GAVE UP HOME AND KINDRED - AND SOME LIFE ITSELF/ DURING THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918/ (NAMES)
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Baggaley, H
Banks, J H
Beaumont, H
Brumby, W
Burrell, J
Butterell, C
Clarke, C
Clarke, H
Coldwell, M C
Collier, C H
See details for all 46 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 46
    Served and returned: 39
    Died: 7
    Exact count: no
    Information shown: surname,forename
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Bronze
  • Frame
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood - Oak
Listing information
Condition
History
THE ORIGINAL CHURCH ON THE SAME SITE WAS DESTROYED IN THE BLITZ, DECEMBER 1940. THE PLAQUE WAS SAVED BUT THE WOOD SURROUND WAS BURNED. NEW CHURCH WAS OPENED ON 7 MAY 1955
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Public

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-27554

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.