previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Caroline Rye

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Caroline Rye (WMR-27313)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Window
District
Rushcliffe
Town
West Bridgford
County
Nottinghamshire
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
H W Bryan's, London (Glazier)
J H Morcom, Turret Studio, The Newarke, Leicestershire (Mason)
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: Sunday 30th November 1919
    Attended by: Dedicated by Mrs Hayman
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
27313
Current location

The memorial is in two parts the stained glass window is on the 'East' wall and the alabastor tablet is on the opposite 'West' wall
St Giles Church
West Bridgford
Rushcliffe
Nottinghamshire
England

OS Grid Ref: SK 58616 37559
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
STAINED GLASS WINDOW WITH DEDICATORY TABLET THE WINDOW - This large window which contains Seven Lights as well as a considerable amount of Tracery, has been treated in the following manner. In the Centre Light which dominates the whole Window is a Figure of our Lord upon the Cross, which is lifted up on a green mound behind which is seen a vision of the Holy City. On either side are shewn Saint Mary, the blessed Mother – the Mater dolorosa, and our Patron, Saint George, who is turning towards the Saviour with his right hand uplifted in adoration, whilst in his left he holds a shield bearing the Red Cross. On the right and left in pairs are shewn the Four Fathers of the Church. On the extreme left is Saint Jerome, who is robed in red, as a Cardinal, for though during his life he refused all Ecclesiastical rank it has always been thought fit, for the sake of his dignity, to shew him as a Cardinal. He is reading a book and at his feet is a model of “The Church,” with rays of light emanating from its portal. Saint Ambrose, Bishop of Milan, is next and he is robed as a Bishop with Mitre, Cope and Dalmatic, holding a Crosier and also his Triple Scourge, an attribute given to him to set forth the ardour with which he punished heresy and sin. On the right side in the Sixth Light, we have Saint Augustine, Bishop of Hippo, in Africa, who was converted to Christianity by the preaching of Ambrose and was baptized in Milan Cathedral in the presence of Monica his mother, on which occasion our “Te Deum” was composed and sung. He also is robed as a Bishop and is shewn reading the Scriptures. His Cope is fastened with a Red Morse in the shape of a Burning Heart, which expresses the warmth of his piety and also his repentance. In the extreme right we have Saint Gregory, the first Pope who styled himself Servant of the Servants of God. He is shewn with the Papal Tiara wearing a Chasuble and holding a Triple Cross; his hand is uplifted in blessing whilst on his shoulder rests his peculiar attribute, the Dove. Below these figures of the Four Fathers, or Latin Doctors, are shewn the four Evangelists seated, with words in Latin, taken from the opening sentences of their writings, on scrolls above them In the centre three bases we have the Pelican in Piety, feeding its young from the blood of its breast, a symbol of Christ upon the Cross, and on either side is an Angel adoring, with words on scrolls above “Jesus Christus Noster Pelicanus.” “The Tracery, which is intricate and forms a very important part of this window, has been most carefully treated. At the very top is an Angel holding a Shield bearing the Holy Name, and below this in the centre of the tracery is shewn the Lamb, the “Agnus Dei,” surrounded with rays and standing on a green mound from which emanate the four rivers of Paradise. On either side of this opening is an Angel adoring and swinging a censer. In other smaller pieces of tracery we have the symbols of the four Evangelists, namely:- the Man. of Angel, the Lion, the Ox, and the Eagle; and over and above these are numerous pieces of tracery still smaller which are treated in an ornamental manner. THE TABLET - An alabaster tablet with inscription and the names of 168 fallen in three columns
Inscription
THIS TABLET/ AND THE EAST WINDOW/ OF THIS CHURCH ARE ERCTED/ TO THE REVERED AND HONOURED/ MEMORY OF OUR KINSMEN/ WHO JEPOARD THEIR LIVES/ UNTO THE DEATH IN THE/ GREAT WAR 191 4- 1918 A.D./ (Names)/ SO HE PASSED OVER AND ALL THE/ TRUMPETS SOUNDED FOR HIM/ ON THE OTHER SIDE
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Alcoe, F
Anderson, J
Atkin, W T
Auckland, A
Aylett, G E
Barnes, E T
Bates, R S
Beach, A E
Beach, H
Beal, E G
See details for all 168 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 168
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 168
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Window
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stained Glass
  • Tablet
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Alabaster
Listing information
  • CHURCH OF ST GILES
  • Grade II
  • This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
  • More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
  • Historic England
Condition
Costs

Memorial: window cost was £650 , Tablet cost was £110, 16shillings, and 7pence including carriage and fixing

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Public

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-27313

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.