At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to [email protected] for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- Restoration of derelict Lady Chapel; stone tablet with four lancet panels; oak board with coat of arms at the head and names in ten panels.
- Tablet panel 1: THIS CHAPEL OF OUR LADY/ WAS BUILT IN THE EARLY PART/ OF THE 13TH CENTURY/ BY MAUD LADY FURNIVAL/ WIFE OF GIRARD,/ FIRST LORD OF FURNIVAL./ IT WAS CLOSED FOR DIVINE/ WORSHIP BY ORDER OF THE/ COMMISSIONERS/ OF KING HENRY VIII/ AT THE DISSOLUTION/ OF THE ABBEY ON THE Tablet panel 2: 15TH DAY OF NOVEMBER IN/ THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1539,/ THOMAS STOKES BEING/ PRIOR. FOR SOME TIME/ IT WAS USED AS A BURYING/ PLACE FOR THE OLD FAMILIES/ IN THE DISTRICT, AND WAS/ THEN SUFFERED TO FALL/ INTO RUIN AND DECAY./ IT WAS SAVED FROM/ TOTAL DESTRUCTION/ BY THE REVEREND Tablet panel 3: JAMES APPLETON/ WHO BECAME VICAR/ IN THE YEAR 1847./ AFTER THE LAPSE OF/ NEARLY FOUR CENTURIES/ IT WAS RESTORED FOR/ THE WORSHIP OF GOD AND/ IN PERPETUAL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THE PARISH/ OF WORKSOP WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1918 Tablet panel 4: IT WAS CONSECRATED BY/ EDWIN LORD BISHOP OF/ SOUTHWELL ON THE 20TH DAY/ OF JULY 1922/ G. J. D'ARCY CANON OF/ SOUTHWELL BEING VICAR/ HENRY SEVENTH DUKE/ OF NEWCASTLE AND/ SYDNEY PENNINGTON/ BEING WARDENS/ AND J. P. FORREST BEING ACTING WARDEN. Board: THIS CHAPEL HAS BEEN RESTORED TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THE OLD PARISH OF WORKSOP WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918/ (Names) (Exact wording not known)
- Inscription legible?
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 456
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,decorations
Order of information: regiment,surname
- First World War (1914-1918)
Measurements: height 2500mm, width 3550mm
Materials: Wood - Oak
- Listing information
- CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT AND ST MARY, WORKSOP PRIORY, AND REMAINS OF CLOISTER WALL
- Grade I
- This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- The Kings England Series by Mee, Arthur 323-4/ 1946 Nottinghamshire volume
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]