At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Avenue / Tree or grove
District
Elmbridge
Town
Cobham
County
Surrey
Country
England
Commemoration
Second World War (1939-1945)
Maker
Haven Memorials
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 24th February 1946
    Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries
  • Dedicated
    Date: 26th April 2009
    Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries
  • Dedicated
    Date: 24th February 1946
    Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
23222
Current location

Beside road on green
Stoke Rd
Cobham
Elmbridge
Surrey
KT11
England

OS Grid Ref: TQ 115 597
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Description
Avenue of cherry trees, planted in association with St Andrews Church. Each tree represents one individual casualty and the trees were originally mounted with small plaques. New stone of remembrance records the names together, due to the loss of the original individual plaques. Stone of Remembrance features insignia of Army, Royal Air Force and Royal Navy.
Inscription
Plaque at ground level: THESE CHERRY TREES WERE PLANTED/ TO COMMEMORATE THOSE/ LOCAL SERVICEMEN AND WOMEN/ WHO FELL DURING WORLD WAR II/ 1939-1945 Plaques on trees: (Inscriptions unknown) Stone of Remembrance: AVENUE OF REMEMBRANCE/ This avenue of cherry trees commemorates certain of the local/ service people who lost their lives in the Second World War./ Each tree originally had a collar with details of the person it/ commemorated and those details are replicated on this stone./ The Avenue was originally created by/Cobham Village Women's Institute/ and was dedicated on Sunday 24th February 1946/ Cobham's official War Memorial/ listing all those who lost their lives/ in both World Wars is within the Memorial Chapel/ at St Andrew's Church Downside Bridge Road Cobham./ The Avenue of Remembrance was reinstated by the/ Cobham Conservation and Heritage Trust/ and elmbridge Borough Council/ with the support of Cobham Evening Women's Institute, Royal British Legion (Cobham Branch)/ and St andrew's Church Cobham/ Sunday 26th April 2009.
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 46
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 46
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname,regiment,forename
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Tree
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood
  • Plaques
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Metal
  • Stone of remembrance
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Granite
Listing information
Condition
History
2009: Stone of Remembrance with the names of casualties added to replace original tree plaques which had gone missing.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Local Publication/Booklet May 2009, pg 2-17 Cobham Conservation & Heritage Trust
  • Unidentified Newspaper/Magazine 30 April 2009

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-23222

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.