previous
next
  • Orphan work

    The source of this image is unknown and is shared as an orphan work.

  • IWM Collections image

    This image is from the IWM Collections. For details of copyright and usage please visit the collection record: © IWM (Q 42402)

Memorial details

Memorial type
Cenotaph
District
Camden
Town
Camden
County
Greater London
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
Captain Leonard A Culliford MC FSI ARIBA, Messrs Goodale & Co
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 10 November 1923
    Attended by: Major General Sir Louis Jean Bols KCB KCMG DSO
  • Dedicated
    Date: Undefined
    Attended by: Rev Robert Stuart de Courcy Laffan
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
2255
Current location

Outside the Eisenhower Centre.
Chenies Street
Camden
Camden
Greater London
WC1E 7EU
England

OS Grid Ref: TQ 29606 81846
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Description
A tall cenotaph with the badge of the 12th Battalion County of London Regiment (The Rangers).
Inscription
THE/ RANGERS/12TH COUNTY OF/LONDON REGT/1914-1919/REMEMBER WITH GRATITUDE THE TRUE AND/FAITHFUL MEN WHO IN THE GREAT WAR/WENT FORTH FOR GOD AND THE RIGHT/THE MEMORY OF THOSE WHO RETURNED/NOT AGAIN IS HEREBY PERPETUATED TO/BE HONOURED FOR EVERMORE/K.R.R.C. 1939-1945/GREECE CRETE WESTERN DESERT / (...)
Inscription legible?
no
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Cenotaph
    Measurements: height c6000mm
    Materials: Stone - Portland
Listing information
  • WAR MEMORIAL
  • Grade II
  • This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
  • More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
  • Historic England
Condition
History
2007: Some of the lettering is illegible, perhaps due to pollution. 2004: Restoration of lettering. According to the Rifles London Office, Davies Street, London, the restoration was likely to have been carried out with assistance from The Porter Foundation. 1997: Restoration of lettering. According to the Rifles London Office, Davies Street, London, the restoration was likely to have been carried out with assistance from The Porter Foundation.
Costs

Site: £498.10.-

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Departments WM 2851 WM 2850
  • War Memorials Trust http://WM750
  • Unveiling Programme/ Order of Service 1923 Copy in Imperial War Museum, Ref: K 3835-1

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-2255

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.