Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Stephen Wynn
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Stephen Wynn (WMR-22069)
- Two stepped stone base surmounted by hexagonal plinth, hexagonal shaft and cross. The names are carved onto the sides of the plinth and painted in black lettering. The whole stands on a paved area with flower beds around it which are in turn enclosed by stone bolards and chain links. Original lettering was enamel.
- Side one: IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918/ (Names) Side two: THE FOLLOWING CONNECTED WITH BLACKMORE ALSO SERVED IN HIS MAJESTY'S FORCES/ (Names) Others sides: (Names)
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Alexander, E
See details for all 101 names
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 101
Served and returned: 80
Exact count: yes
Information shown: aurname, initials of forenames, rank, regiment, additional
Order of information: Undefined
- First World War (1914-1918)
Measurements: depth c 1000mm, height c 4000mm, width c 1000mm
- Listing information
- Blackmore War Memorial
- WMO ID: 132372
- Condition: Good [last updated on 06-04-2019]
- Help update these details if the condition is wrong
- May 2010: Work started to get the memorial cleaned and names re-engraved 1988-1989: The memorial was restored. It is not known what work was carried out on the memorial but the posts around it were lifted, cleaned and re-set, a new ornamental chain was added and paving and raised beds were placed around the memorial.
Comments: The committee agreed that if there were any surplus funds once the memroial had been paid for they should be donated to the Ongar and District War Memorial Hospital
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Brentwood Gazette and Mid Essex Recorder October 1920-1921; October 1921-1922
- Council or Committee Minutes 05 March 1919; 14 May 1919; 07 July 1919; 01 November 1920; 26 January 1921; no date Blackmore Parish Council meetings
- Kelly's Trade Directory 1926
- The Kings England Series by Mee, Arthur 1940 and 1951 Essex
- Other website blackmorehistory.blogspot.com/2008/10/blackmore-war-memorial.html
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact email@example.com.