previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Jane Hurst

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Jane Hurst (WMR-21091)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Tony Cross

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Tony Cross (WMR-21091)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Composite
District
East Hampshire
Town
Alton
County
Hampshire
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Maker
WILLIAM MORRIS & CO (Manufacturer)
Bertram Douglas Cancellor (Architect)
J D Kemp (Builder)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 19 September 1920
    Attended by: EARL OF SELBORNE
  • Unveiled
    Date: 06 November 1949
    Attended by: MAJ-GEN G D JEFFREYS CB CMG GOC
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
21091
Current location

Opposite the junction of Normandy St and Church St near the museum
Crown Close
Normandy St
Alton
East Hampshire
Hampshire
England

OS Grid Ref: SU 719 394
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Description
Composite memorial formed of public buildings and a memorial cairn. The cairn is formed of cornish granite blocks with dedicatory plaque placed on one side. The inscription is in relief. A step is at the base of the plaque. Behind the cairn is a flag pole. The flag was to be flown at half mast on request by any relative on the anniversary of the death of any of those commemorated The public buildings are the former Mechanics Institute and the Assembly Rooms which were privately owned up to that point. The Mechanics Institute agreed to gift their building so it could be used as a Public Library Reading Room. The Assembly Rooms (now the Curtis Museum) were also handed over to public ownership to be used as civic offices. A dedicatory tablet was set into the wall of each building to mark their status as part of the Alton war memorial.
Inscription
Cairn: OUR GLORIOUS DEAD / 1914 - 1919 / (Names) / 1939 - 1945 / (Names) / THEIR NAME LIVETH / FOR EVERMORE Assembly Rooms: ALTON ASSEMBLY ROOMS/ PRESENTED TO THE TOWN/ BY MESSRS/ GERALD & GOODWYN HALL/ IN COMMEMORATION OF THE/ VICTORIES WHICH THE ALLIES GAINED IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 1919 Alton Institute: ALTON INSTITUTE AND CURTIS MUSEUM/ THESE PREMISES/ WERE PRESENTED TO THE TOWN/ BY THE TRUSTEES AS A/ WAR MEMORIAL/ 1914 - 1919
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Albuery, A
Allen, J H
Allwork, H W
Allwork, W J
Amor, W
Andrews, R T M
Appleford, A
Arnold, H C
Atkins, E W
Barnes, W
See details for all 167 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 169
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 169
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname
    Order of information: surname
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 53
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 53
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Cairn
    Measurements: height 3048mm, width 2134mm
    Materials: Granite - Cornish
  • Plaque
    Measurements: height 1524mm, width 610mm
    Materials: Bronze
  • Hall
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Undefined
  • Library
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Undefined
Listing information
  • WAR MEMORIAL IMMEDIATELY NORTH OF ASSEMBLY ROOMS
  • Grade II
  • This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
  • More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
  • Historic England
Condition
History
1995: As part of a town centre enhancement scheme the area around the memorial wa simproved. Crazing paving around the memorial was replaced with block paving, the flower beds containing the Burma Star roses were re-structured and two seats were donated. 1985: The dedicatory tablet was removed from the former Mechanics Institute as part of works to improve access to the museum. It forms part of the Story of Alton display.
Costs

Memorial: c £25,000

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Public
Reference
  • Local Publication/Booklet 38 - 46 / 1998 Cross, Tony, 'Lest We Forget - The Story of Alton's War Memorial' in Alton Papers No 2
  • Here's to the Men of Alton - stories of courage and sacrifice in the Great War (2015), isbn:- 978 0 7509 6077 9
  • Here's to the Men of Alton - World War II. (2020), isbn:- 978-1-9161749-5-5
  • Carter Postcard Collection
  • Local Publication/Booklet 1999 Cross, Tony, 'Lest We Forget - A postcript' in Alton Papers No 3
  • Other website www3.hants.gov.uk/museum/curtis-museum/alton-history/lest-we-forget.htm

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-21091

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.