previous
next
  • Orphan work

    The source of this image is unknown and is shared as an orphan work.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Trophy / Relic
District
York
Town
York
County
North Yorkshire
Country
England
Commemoration
Crimean War (1853-1856)
Maker
Eowin Thompson Phoenix Foundry (Founder / Foundry)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 05th November 1858
    Attended by: Lord Mayor of York Right Honourable John Wood
Lost
Lost
WM Reference
2038
Current location
View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • Buttresses of the Blue Bridge Bridge at the confluence of the River Ouse and River Fosse
    Blue Bridge
    York
    York
    North Yorkshire
    England

    OS Grid Ref: SE 60578 50996
    Denomination: Undefined
Description
Two Russian 36-pounder iron guns and carriages placed either side of the river. Inscription in white lettering on six plaques placed below the guns on oblong platforms.
Inscription
LEFT BANK, 3 O'CLOCK FACE AND RIGHT BANK, 9 O'CLOCK FACE: TO COMMEMORATE / THE VICTORIES OF THE ALLIED ARMIES, AND PERPETUATE THE MEMORY OF THOSE / BRAVE MEN CONNECTED WITH THIS CITY AND NEIGHBOURHOOD / WHO FELL DURING THE RUSSIAN WAR, / THESE GUNS, / CAPTURED AT THE FALL OF SEBASTOPOL AND PRESENTED TO THE CITY OF YORK / BY HER MAJESTY'S GOVERNMENT IN THE MAYORALTY OF/ EDWARD RICHARD ANDERSON, ESQUIRE, WERE PLACED IN THEIR PRESENT POSITION, 1858; / THE RIGHT HONOURABLE JOHN WOOD, LORD MAYOR LEFT BANK, 6 AND 9 O'CLOCK FACE AND RIGHT BANK, 3 AND 6 O'CLOCK FACE: OFFICERS, NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND PRIVATES / FROM YORK AND THE NEIGHBOURHOOD, / WHO FELL DURING THE WAR IN THE CRIMEA / (Names)
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • Crimean War (1853-1856)
    Total names on memorial: 16
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 16
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: rank,regiment,forename, surname
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Plaques
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Metal
  • Gun
    Measurements: width 2515mm
    Materials: Metal
Condition
History
1941: Guns and plaques were ordered to be scrapped and this was carried out in April and May respectively.
Costs

Comments: In 1857 The Lord Mayor of York wrote to Lord Panmure Secretary of War suggesting that the City of York be presented with the two Russian guns and carriages as 'Trophies of the late War'. Lord Panmure agreed and two guns captured in in 1855 were sent from Woolwich arriving in York by June 1857. They were placed by the coucil on the buttresses at Blue Bridge. The cost not to exceed £70. The inaugeration took place on the 4th Aniversary of the Battle of Inkerman 5th November 1858 following a parade through the town.

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Yorkshire Gazette 16 May 1857 Page 5 'Guns given to York by Government'
  • "The Martial Annals of the City of York" by Rev. Ceasar Caine F.R.G.S. Pub. 1893 Pages.278/9
  • "York as it was" by Ronald Willis 1973 - Pub. Hendon Publishing Co. Ltd. Hendon Mill, Nelson (Photo) Inscp. "A pair of Russian guns which once decorated Blue Bridge near the junction of the Ouse and Foss rivers'
  • York Reference Library and York City Archives
  • Minutes of the Parks & Smallholding Committee BC52/3 - 8 May 1941 - 'Inscription Plates Scrapped'
  • Yorkshire Evening Press - 25 April 1941 Page.4 - 'Guns Removed'
  • Yorkshire Gazette - 6 November 1858 Page 3 - 'Parade, Inauguration and Celebration, Inscriptiions'
  • Council Minutes BB6 Page 399 -10 May 1858 - 'Resolution on placement and cost'

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-2038

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.