At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
Norwich
Town
Melton, Woodbridge
County
Norfolk
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
20115
Current location

4
Melton Park House
Scott Ln.
Melton
Woodbridge
Norwich
Norfolk
IP12 1TJ
England

OS Grid Ref: TM 28428 51969
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • By roadside on land owned by Norwich Union.
    Rouen Rd
    Norwich
    Norwich
    Norfolk
    NR1
    England

    OS Grid Ref: TG 230 080
    Denomination: Undefined
  • Pockthorpe Brewey (Demolished)
    Norwich
    Norwich
    Norfolk
    England

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: Undefined
Description
Two white granite tablets with rough-hewn carved borders, and metal plaques bearing inscription. lead lettering.
Inscription
WW1 tablets: IN REMEMBRANCE/ (Names)/ 1914-1918/
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Branch, E
Brithcer, F
Chambers, F
Cooper, C R
Crooks, A
Crooks, W
Daniels, G
Frith, J
Halfacre, J
Holman, J J
See details for all 26 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 28
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 28
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: height 31.2 mm, width 24 mm
    Materials: Granite
  • Lettering
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Lead
Listing information
Condition
History
By 2013: Tablets set in a red brick wall. Early 2003: Wall was demolished and seat removed. Tablets put into storage. 1993: Tablets set into a blue brick wall each side of Morgan's Brewery memorial (IWM-WMA 20116) above a metal seat.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • A Century of British Brewers plus plus 1890-2012 by Norman Barber, Mike Brown and Ken Smith p.113 Published:Longfield Brewery History Society 2012 Longfield, Kent The brewery was acquired by Watney Mann in 1963. Brewing ceased Jan. 1970. In 1974 the chimney was demolished and the site cleared.
  • Eastern Daily Press 23 May 1974 Photo of Barrack St entrance to brewery with tablets either side of entrance in 1963.
  • Roll of Honour www.roll-of-honour.com/Norfolk/NorwichBreweries.html

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-20115

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.