previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Adrian Pye

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Adrian Pye (WMR-20024)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
Norwich
Town
Norwich
County
Norfolk
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
20024
Current location

ON CLOISTER WALL
62
NORWICH CATHEDRAL
The Cl
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk
NR1 4DH
England

OS Grid Ref: TG 230 080
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
Wall-mounted plaque with carved nowey-headed wooden mount. Lettering in low relief. Carving of Corps Badge at top centre. Laurel wreath surround. Round enamel plaques at top two corners of main plaque depicting the Grenade Fired and the 34th Divisional Sign, a chequerboard. Lower two badges absent.
Inscription
34TH NORFOLK DIVISIONAL/ ROYAL ENGINEERS/ FOUR COMPANIES WERE RAISED IN THE SPRING OF 1915 BY/ DR J. GORDON MUNN, LORD MAYOR OF NORWICH AND/ WERE BILLETED IN THIS HALL. THEY CROSSED TO FRANCE/ UNDER THE COMMAND OF COL. A.C. MACDONNELL, R.E./ IN JAN 1916, AND WERE IN ACTION AT THE BATTLE/ OF THE SOMME [LA BOISSELLE, JULY 1ST, BAZENTIN-LE-PETIT, AUG 1916]/ BATTLE OF ARRAS [POINT-DU-JOUR, APRIL 9TH, RIVER SCARPE, APRIL 1917] ,/ LOCAL ATTACKS AT FAMPOUX [GREENLAND HILL, JUNE], AND/ HARGINCOURT [COLOGNE FARM, SEPT 1917] ,THE BATTLE OF YPRES/ (.......) OCT 1917 AND THE GERMAN OFFENSIVES [CROISILLES,/ MAR 21ST, ARMENTIERES, APRIL 9TH 1918] THEY ATTACKED WITH THE/ FRENCH ARMY [SOISSONS, AUG 1918], WERE IN THE FINAL/ ADVANCE [MENIN, SEP-OCT 1918, AND WITH THE ARMY / OF OCCUPATION [COLOGNE 1919. THE COMPANIES WERE/ DISBANDED AT RIPON ON DECEMBER 10TH 1919/ THIS TABLET IS ERECTED IN MEMORY OF THE FOLLOWING/ (NAMES)/ THIS MEMORIAL WAS REMOVED FROM BLACKFRIARS HALL IN 1973 AND RE-ERECTED IN THE CATHEDRAL WHERE IT WAS UNVEILED ON MARCH 16TH 1975 BY COUNCILLOR W.A.J. SPEAR T.D. PRESIDENT OF THE NORFOLK ROYAL ENGINEERS ASSOCIATION & LORD MAYOR OF NORWICH
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Abbs, G
Abel, J E
Allard, E J
Allen, H
Avery, F G
Bailey, F A
Bean, A W
Beckett, C E
Bennett, V W
Betts, T
See details for all 125 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 127
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 127
    Exact count: no
    Information shown: rank,regiment,decorations
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: height 2750MM, width 1400MM
    Materials: Bronze
Listing information
  • THE CATHEDRAL OF THE HOLY AND UNDIVIDED TRINITY
  • Grade I
  • This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
  • More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
  • Historic England
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-20024

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.