Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Adrian Pye
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Adrian Pye (WMR-20024)
- Wall-mounted plaque with carved nowey-headed wooden mount. Lettering in low relief. Carving of Corps Badge at top centre. Laurel wreath surround. Round enamel plaques at top two corners of main plaque depicting the Grenade Fired and the 34th Divisional Sign, a chequerboard. Lower two badges absent.
- 34TH NORFOLK DIVISIONAL/ ROYAL ENGINEERS/ FOUR COMPANIES WERE RAISED IN THE SPRING OF 1915 BY/ DR J. GORDON MUNN, LORD MAYOR OF NORWICH AND/ WERE BILLETED IN THIS HALL. THEY CROSSED TO FRANCE/ UNDER THE COMMAND OF COL. A.C. MACDONNELL, R.E./ IN JAN 1916, AND WERE IN ACTION AT THE BATTLE/ OF THE SOMME [LA BOISSELLE, JULY 1ST, BAZENTIN-LE-PETIT, AUG 1916]/ BATTLE OF ARRAS [POINT-DU-JOUR, APRIL 9TH, RIVER SCARPE, APRIL 1917] ,/ LOCAL ATTACKS AT FAMPOUX [GREENLAND HILL, JUNE], AND/ HARGINCOURT [COLOGNE FARM, SEPT 1917] ,THE BATTLE OF YPRES/ (.......) OCT 1917 AND THE GERMAN OFFENSIVES [CROISILLES,/ MAR 21ST, ARMENTIERES, APRIL 9TH 1918] THEY ATTACKED WITH THE/ FRENCH ARMY [SOISSONS, AUG 1918], WERE IN THE FINAL/ ADVANCE [MENIN, SEP-OCT 1918, AND WITH THE ARMY / OF OCCUPATION [COLOGNE 1919. THE COMPANIES WERE/ DISBANDED AT RIPON ON DECEMBER 10TH 1919/ THIS TABLET IS ERECTED IN MEMORY OF THE FOLLOWING/ (NAMES)/ THIS MEMORIAL WAS REMOVED FROM BLACKFRIARS HALL IN 1973 AND RE-ERECTED IN THE CATHEDRAL WHERE IT WAS UNVEILED ON MARCH 16TH 1975 BY COUNCILLOR W.A.J. SPEAR T.D. PRESIDENT OF THE NORFOLK ROYAL ENGINEERS ASSOCIATION & LORD MAYOR OF NORWICH
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Abbs, G
Abel, J E
Allard, E J
Avery, F G
Bailey, F A
Bean, A W
Beckett, C E
Bennett, V W
See details for all 125 names
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 127
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: no
Information shown: rank,regiment,decorations
Order of information: Undefined
- First World War (1914-1918)
Measurements: height 2750MM, width 1400MM
- Listing information
- 34TH NORFOLK DIVISIONAL ROYAL ENGINEERS
- WMO ID: 104021
- Condition: Fair [last updated on 20-03-2019]
- Help update these details if the condition is wrong
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact email@example.com.