At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Chapel: Dedicated within church building
District
Lancaster
Town
Lancaster
County
Lancashire
Country
England
Commemoration
Boer War; Second (1899-1902), First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
MESSRS AUSTIN & PALEY, Shrigley and Hunt
Ceremony
  • Foundation Stone
    Date: 7 August 1903
    Attended by: COUNTESS CONSTANCE OF DERBY
  • Dedicated
    Date: 6 Jan 1921
    Attended by: Right Revd. A. G. Rawstrone, D.D. Bishop of Whal1ey.
  • Unveiled
    Date: 6 Jan 1921
    Attended by: General Sir Archibald Hunter, Colonel of the King’s Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)
  • Dedicated
    Date: 29 July 1904
    Attended by: Bishop of Manchester
  • Unveiled
    Date: 29 July 1904
    Attended by: Field Marshall Lord Roberts
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
18625
Current location

North west corner of the Church.
St Marys Church (Lancaster Priory)
Castle Hill
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancashire
LA1 1YZ
England

OS Grid Ref: SD 47339 61940
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
Extension of existing church by moving part of the 15th century north wall 21 feet north, joining it to the church by an apse at the east end and by a west wall and doorway, the north wall being replaced by four arches and an oak screen, separating the chapel from the main body of the church . Detailed description in Gildea: 'For Remembrance' p.104. Dedicatory tablet on north side of Chapel (by Shrigley & Hunt). In 1908 oak arcading with spaces for brass dado memorial tablets on the north and west walls, was put up in accordance with the original design. The many memorial tablets include names of former commanding officers and other members of the Regiment who have given distinguished service. The oak pews were added from time to time after 1908 as memorials-each has a brass plate to record its dedication and they give a seating capacity of around 150. There are three windows-all by Shrigley & Hunt. The chapel sanctuary has been furnished by many gifts from regimental families. Notable are the coptic crosses, one of which is carried in procession each Sunday- the only one in use in this country except Westminster Abbey. The dossal was given in 1929 . The west window was dedicated in 1921
Inscription
Plaque-THIS CHAPEL WAS ERECTED TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE OFFICERS, NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS,/ AND MEN OF THE KING'S OWN ROYAL LANCASTER REGIMENT WHO FELL IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN CAMPAIGN, 1899-1902. (Exact line spacing and sentence case unknown.) East Wall Central window-In loving memory of all those of the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, who fell in the South African war 1899-1902 West Wall (5 lights)-To the glory of God and in memory of the officers, warrant officers, NCO's and men of the King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) who died in the course of justice and right in the war of 1914-18
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • Boer War; Second (1899-1902)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Chapel
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone, Wood
  • Tablet
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Brass
Listing information
  • PRIORY AND PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
  • Grade I
  • This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
  • More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
  • Historic England
Condition
History
Grade I listed.
Costs

Memorial: £5,000.

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Other
Details: c £5,000 raised from the Regiment and it's friends in Lancaster and District
Reference
  • For Remembrance and in Honour of Those Who Lost Their Lives in the South African War 1899-1902 by Gildea, James pp.103-104 Published:Eyre and Spottiswoode 1911 London Church furnishings were designed by the architects.
  • Leaflet about Regimental Chapel
  • The Times 4 July 1904 p.11. FM Lord Roberts would be present at the dedication of the Chapel on 29 July.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-18625

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.