previous
next
  • Orphan work

    The source of this image is unknown and is shared as an orphan work.

  • Orphan work

    The source of this image is unknown and is shared as an orphan work.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Cross
District
Warrington
Town
Latchford
County
Cheshire
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: 25 August 1920
    Attended by: Father John Joseph Tallon, Parish Priest
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
18151
Current location

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption
St Mary St
Latchford
Warrington
Cheshire
WA4 1BN
England

OS Grid Ref: SJ 610 870
Denomination: Roman Catholic

View location on Google Maps
Description
Crucifix on octagonal column and three stepped base with names recorded on a dedicatory wooden board mounted into the external wall of the church. Dedicatory board used to be made of stone until it was replaced due to erosion of the inscription.
Inscription
OUR LADY/ OF THE/ ASSUMPTION/ "HERE ARE RECORDED THOSE OF THIS PARISH/ WHO DIED ON SERVICE IN THE GREAT WAR"/ (Names)/ HERE ARE RECORDED THOSE OF THIS PARISH/ WHO DIED ON SERVICE IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR"/ (Names)
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Bate, Harry
Brady, Herbert James
Connor, Charles
Conrella, Patrick
Densham, Walter Henry
Dunn, Joseph
Edgar, Michael
Ford, Thomas
Forrest, Private William (sic)
Green, Walter
See details for all 44 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 34
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 34
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname,rank,forename
    Order of information: Undefined
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 10
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 10
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname,forename
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Cross
    Measurements: height 3800MM
    Materials: Stone
  • Figure
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Bronze
Listing information
Condition
History
1988: The memorial was moved to its current site after it had being pushed over and the crucifix stolen on the 19th March. Date unknown: Memorial subsequently restored. 1998: Dedicatory tablet replaced by current wooden board as the tablet had become badly eroded.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-18151

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.