At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Cross
District
North Tyneside
Town
North Shields
County
Tyne And Wear
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 05th September 1920
    Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
17781
Current location

ST CUTHBERTS RC CHURCH
Albion Rd
North Shields
North Tyneside
Tyne And Wear
England

OS Grid Ref: NZ 351 684
Denomination: Roman Catholic

View location on Google Maps
Description
BASE SURMOUNTED BY PLINTH, SHAFT AND CRUCIFIX WITH ROOF. INSCRIPTION ON THE 6 O'CLOCK FACE OF THE LPINTH
Inscription
THIS CRUCIFIX / WAS ERECTED BY / THE PARISHIONERS / OF ST CUTHBERTS / TO THE MEMORY OF THE / MEMBERS OF THE CONGREGATION / WHO DIED ON ACTIVE SERVICE / DURING THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918 / (NAMES)
Inscription legible?
no
Names on memorial
Bell, J
Blackman, H
Bolam, J
Bower, W
Bradbury, E
Bradley, B
Bradley, J
Brannen, P
Brookbank, R
Brown, J
See details for all 132 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 138
    Served and returned: Undefined
    Died: 138
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Crucifix
    Measurements: depth 1603MM, height 2745MM, width 1703MM
    Materials: Stone - Sandstone
Listing information
  • War Memorial outside St Cuthbert's Church
  • Grade II
  • This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
  • More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
  • Historic England
Condition
History
C DECEMBER 1975: MEMORIAL MOVED FROM SITE OF OLD CHURCH ON OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROAD. THE ORIGINAL CHURCH WAS DEMOLISHED DUE TO BOMB DAMAGE WHEN IT WAS FOUND TO BE STRUCTURALLY UNSOUND 1999: SOME OF THE NAMES ILLEGIBLE BUT THERE ARE PLANS BY THE PARISH TO RESTORE THE MEMORIAL
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • WMSN34.5

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-17781

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.