At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Chapel or Church: Restoration or extension
District
Mid Bedfordshire
Town
Shillington
County
Bedfordshire
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: 2/7/1920
    Attended by:
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
1664
Current location

All Saints Church
Church Street
Shillington
Mid Bedfordshire
Bedfordshire
SG5 3LJ
England

OS Grid Ref: TL 12383 33933
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
Chapel with oak memorial board inside on which is mounted a repousse copper sheet painted black with raised lettering in the copper finish. At the top of the sheet is a crown surmounted by a cross with a palm leaf extended each side.
Inscription
THIS CHAPEL WAS RESTORED TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF SHILLINGTON / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919 / (NAMES) / GRANT THEM LORD ETERNAL PEACE
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Ansell, Alfred
Ansell, Harry
Brewer, John
Denton, Joseph
Grundon, William
Hyde, Bertram
Ingram, Robert
Jenkins, Lewis
Jepps, Charles
Larman, Bertram Albert
See details for all 24 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 24
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 24
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname,forename
    Order of information: Alphabetical by surname
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Copper
  • Pulpit
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone
  • Backboard
    Measurements: height 560MM, width 850MM
    Materials: Wood - Oak
Listing information
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Bedfordshire Times and Independent 9/7/1920, reported the dedication of the newly completed restoration of the Chapel, to serve as a memorial to the Fallen.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-1664

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.