previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: S J Clark

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © S J Clark (WMR-13947)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Obelisk
District
Oswestry
Town
Morton
County
Shropshire
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 15th August 1920
    Attended by: Major Parker Leighton, Royal Dragoons
  • Dedicated
    Date: 15th August 1920
    Attended by: Bishop of Lichfield
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
13947
Current location

In the churchyard
St Philip and St James Church
Church Lane
Morton
Oswestry
Shropshire
SY10 8AJ
England

OS Grid Ref: SJ 29126 24619
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
A silver grey granite obelisk mounted onto a plinth with dedications written on the sides.
Inscription
SIDE ONE: PRO PATRIA/ IN HONOUR AND MEMORY/ OF THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THIER LIVES/ FOR THIER COUNTRY IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ AUG 4TH 1914 - NOV 11TH 1918/ "THIER NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE" SIDE TWO AND THREE: (Names) SIDE FOUR: (Names)/ 1939 - 1945/ "AT THE GOING DOWN OF/ THE SUN, AND IN THE/ MORNING WE WILL/ REMEMBER THEM"/ (Names)
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Biggs, E T
Bottfield, C S Garnett
Davies, D J
Edwards, J C
Elliston, R E
Evans, R
Gittens, H
Higgins, A E
Jones, A
Jones, J
See details for all 20 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 20
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 20
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Surname, forename, rank, regiment, date of death, decorations.
    Order of information: Surname.
Components
  • Lettering
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Lead
  • Obelisk
    Measurements: height 12FT
    Materials: Granite
Listing information
  • Morton War Memorial
  • Grade II
  • This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
  • More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
  • Historic England
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Wellington Journal & Shrewsbury News: 21 August 1920.
  • Liverpool Echo - Monday 16 August 1920 www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000271/19200816/090/0005 OSWESTRY WAR MEMORIAL The Bishop of Lichfield last night dedicated a war memorial unveiled by Major Parker Leighton, Royal Dragoons, in Moreton Churchyard, Oswestry. Large numbers of ex-soldiers and relatives attended the ceremony. The memorial is a silver-grey granite obelisk, twelve feet high. and erected near the graveside of Captain Charles Sydney Garnett Bolfield, 2nd Bedfords, son of the present vicar of Moreton and who died in France in December, 1914. His name heads the memorial roll of nineteen local men who, fell in the war.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-13947

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.