Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Emily lane
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Emily lane (WMR-13895)
- Elaborate marble wall monument with a bareheaded offcier, keft, leaning on a tablet bearing Battle Honours with head bowed and a Sergeant right, resting on arms reversed. Above, an urn bearing the Regimental number "LIII" and behind, the Regimental Colours. Trophies of arms at their feet. Below all a name tablet. Above all a crowned wreath, the whole set on a black stone backboard.
- CHUTRA / KHUJWAH/ RELIEF OF LUCKNOW / CAWNPORE/ KHODAGUNGE / SHUMSHABAD / MEANGUNGE/ CAPTURE OF LUCKNOW/ TOOLSEPORE/ BUNGEON /ERECTED BY GEN SUTHERLAND CB/ AND THE OFFICERS OF THE 53RD REGT TO THE MEMORY OF THE UNDERMENTIONED OFFICERS, NON-COMISSIONED OFFICERS AND PRIVATES OF THE 53RD OR SHROPSHIRE REGT, WHO FELL IN ACTION, OR DIED FROM THE EFFECTS OF WOUNDS AND EXPOSURE, IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THEIR DUTY / DURING THE INDIAN MUTINY OF 1857 '58 '59 / (Names) / COLOUR- SERGEANTS / (Names) / SERGEANTS / (Names) / CORPORALS / PRIVATES / (Names) / PRIVATES / (Names) / PRIVATES / (Names) / PRIVATES / (Names) / PRIVATES / (Names)
- Inscription legible?
- Indian Mutiny (1857-1858)
Total names on memorial: 217
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: Rank,firstname, surname
Order of information: rank, alphabetically by surname
- Indian Mutiny (1857-1858)
Materials: Marble - Black
Materials: Marble - White
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Buildings of England series by Various Shropshire (2006) p.525
- DICTIONARY OF BRITISH SCULPTORS 1660 - 1851 by GUNNIS, RUPERT p.253 Source: Image Library NIWM Published:MURRAYS SALES AND SERVICE CO. 1968 LONDON
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.