Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Scottish War Memorials Project
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Scottish War Memorials Project (WMR-13312)
- Rectangular plaque set in a moulded surround. Surround has carved and painted panel on left hand side. Four military crests on the corners of the plaque. Painted panel depicts an achievement under two cherubs holding scrolls. Left hand side scroll shows a St Andrews Cross on blue. The right hand scroll shows a laurel wreath in green on red. Military crests are variations of the Black Watch and the Seaforth Highlanders (two of each).
- TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN HONOURED MEMORY OF TWO BROTHERS/ WILLIAM NOEL LAWSON BOYD LIEUT 2ND BATT THE SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS BORN AT EDINR/ 26 DECR 1892 HE SERVED WITH HIS REGIMENT IN FRANCE AND IN THE TRENCHES NEAR MESSINES/ KILLED IN ACTION 25TH APRIL 1915 AFTER LEADING WITH DEVOTED GALLANTRY THE MEN OF HIS PLATOON/ TO AN ATTACK ON THE GERMAN TRENCHES AT THE SECOND BATTLE OF YPRES NEAR ST JULIEN/ NIGEL JOHN LAWSON BOYD 2ND LIEUT 1ST BATT ROYAL HIGHLANDERS THE BLACK WATCH/ BORN AT EDINR 14 SEPT 1894 HE WAS IN THE RETREAT FROM MONS AND IN THE BATTLES OF/ THE MARNE AND THE AISNE WOUNDED AT THE AISNE 14 SEPT 1914 AFTER HAVING WITH FINE GALLANTRY/ HELD A POSITION WITH THE MEN OF HIS PLATOON AGAINST OVERPOWERING NUMBERS OF THE ENEMY/ HE DIED IN HOSPITAL AT ROUEN 12 OCTR 1914/ ONLY CHILDREN OF WILLIAM AND LAURA BOYD GRANDSONS OF SIR JOHN BOYD OF MAXPOFFLE/ FOR GOD AND KING AND EMPIRE
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Boyd, Nigel John Lawson
Boyd, William Noel Lawson
See details for all 2 names
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 2
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname, rank, date of death, regiment, place of death, forenames, place of birth, place of burial, manner of death, age, relationships
Order of information: Undefined
- First World War (1914-1918)
Measurements: depth 68mm, height 680mm, width 1826mm
Materials: Stone - Portland
Measurements: height 492mm, width 139mm
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland Lor B/45/1/1
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.