At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Richmond Upon Thames
Greater London
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Not lost
WM Reference
Current location

St Peter and St Paul Church
Bychurch End (off Church Road)
Richmond Upon Thames
Greater London
TW11 8PS

OS Grid Ref: TQ 15793 71031
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
STONE CROSS ON SQUARE BASE WITH NAMES ON IT. It is surrounded by white painted wrought iron railings, believed to have been introduced in 1992.
[Dedication recovered from Archival sources- not now legible] To the honour and memory of our fellow worshippers of the church of S.S. peter & Paul Upper Teddington who fell in the Great War 1914-1918. They endured as seeing Him who is invisible. May they rest in peace.
Inscription legible?
Names on memorial
Ackary, T R
Ault, C A
Barclay, A
Barclay, L C
Barwood, H
See details for all 82 names
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 82
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 82
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname
    Order of information: surname
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 10
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 10
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
  • Cross
    Measurements: depth 1800MM, height C 7000MM, width 1800MM
    Materials: Stone - Portland
  • Pedestal
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone
  • Fence/ Railing
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wrought Iron
Listing information
By 2015 the memorial was severely fractured and at risk of collapse, partly due to corrosion of the ferrous rod in the shaft, leading to its expansion and thus stone fracture. In 2018 a £5,720 War Memorials Trust Grant was made towards the repair costs. The memorial was dismantled, repaired and rebuilt, also steam cleaned and repointed with lime mortar. The damage was so severe that some parts of the shaft and cross had to be replaced with new stone. Both the dedication and names have eroded away and have not been renewed in these works, although the dedication is known through archival research; MEMORIAL HAS BEEN MOVED TWICE. FIRST TIME in 1978 DUE TO DEVELOPMENT OF A ROW OF SHOPS IN BROAD STREET ON LAND CEDED BY THE CHURCH, after demolition of the old church and building of a new church (was relocated to Church Road) AND the SECOND TIME in 1992 DUE TO THE BUILDING OF A NEW COMMITTEE ROOM FOR THE CHURCH.
Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
  • War Memorials Trust Bulletin No 82, August 2019 page 8

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-12503

For queries, please contact