previous
next
  • IWM Collections image

    This image is from the IWM Collections. For details of copyright and usage please visit the collection record: © IWM (Q 42410)

  • IWM Collections image

    This image is from the IWM Collections. For details of copyright and usage please visit the collection record: © IWM (Q 42409)

Memorial details

Memorial type
Sculptured / Cast group
District
Wandsworth
Town
Battersea
County
Greater London
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
ERIC HENRI KENNINGTON RA
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 4 October 1924
    Attended by: FIELD MARSHAL PLUMER
  • Dedicated
    Date: 4 October 1924
    Attended by: Bishop of Southwark
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
12486
Current location

To the north of the boating lake
next to the sports arena.
Battersea Park
Central Avenue
Battersea
Wandsworth
Greater London
SW11 4BE
England

OS Grid Ref: TQ 28298 77345
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Description
Three stone carved soldiers with helmets, rifles and full kit. A serpent impedes forward motion of the figure, all of which is mounted on a cylindrical plinth. Twenty unit badges are featured around the plinth.
Inscription
XXIV DIVISION FRANCE 1914-1918
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Figures
    Measurements: height 6 FT 6 IN
    Materials: Stone
  • Base
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone
Listing information
  • WAR MEMORIAL OF THE 24TH EAST SURREY DIVISION, BATTERSEA PARK
  • Grade II*
  • This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
  • More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
  • Historic England
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Carter Postcard Collection
  • Unidentified Publication c1924 Four page printed description, with comments, entitled 'The War Memorial in Battersea Park' by Harold Monro (1879-1932)
  • Unidentified Newspaper/Magazine 5 Oct. 1924 Photos of arrival of FM Lord Plumer and dedication by Bishop of Southwark.
  • WAR MEMORIALS FROM ANTIQUITY TO THE PRESENT by BORG, ALAN 76-77 Source: Image Library NIWM Published:LEO COOPER 1991 LONDON

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-12486

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.