At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Cross
District
Southwark
Town
Camberwell
County
Greater London
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
47TH LONDON DIVISION DIVISIONAL ENGINEERS
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
12078
Current location

London Irish Rifles HQ
Connaught House
Flodden Road
Camberwell
Southwark
Greater London
SE5 9LL
England

OS Grid Ref: TQ 31991 76975
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • On the south side of brick screen to the main portico in the centre of middle "blind" arch.
    Duke of York's HQ
    Kings Road
    Chelsea
    Kensington And Chelsea
    Greater London
    SW1 4RY
    England

    OS Grid Ref: TQ 270 770
    Denomination: Undefined
  • Somme
    France
    Outside British Isles

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: Undefined
Description
Pine cross coated with red translucent preservative paint, bearing black plaques on each of the four sides of the square and the cross-member, which bear the inscription. The cross now stands beside the two-tired stone steps on which it was once mounted.
Inscription
Cross, upper: IN GLORIOUS MEMORY OF THE GALLANT OFFICERS, N.C.O.'S AND/ Cross, lower: MEN WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE CAPTURE OF HIGH WOOD Cross, horizontal arm: 47TH LONDON DIVISION Cross, vertical arm: 15/ SEP/ 1916. A nearby associated brass plaque reads: 47TH (LONDON) DIVISION WAR MEMORIAL/ This wooden cross and its counterpart on the south screen/ were originally erected in 1916 by Divisional Engineers/ on the Somme Battlefield to commemorate the 15,567 officers/ and men of the 47th (2nd London) Division Territorial/ Army who died in France and Flanders./ At the initiative of the Division and the County of London/ Territorial Association, the two crosses, which were/ falling into disrepair, were returned to the Duke of York's/ Headquarters in 1925. In their place in France, a stone/ cross was erected at High Wood and a children's playground/ built in the nearby village of Martinpuich to be "a/ memorial of utility rather than purely ornamental".
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Cross
    Measurements: depth 80mm, height 4000mm, width 2700mm
    Materials: Wood - Pine
  • Plaque
    Measurements: depth c2mm, height c250mm, width c450mm
    Materials: Brass
Listing information
Condition
History
Reconditioned and repainted (believed c2000). Restored upon transfer to England (1926).
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Responsibility
London Irish Rifle Brigade Association

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-12078

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.