At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Cross
District
Kensington And Chelsea
Town
Chelsea
County
Greater London
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
47TH LONDON DIVISION DIVISIONAL ENGINEERS
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
12077
Current location

IN THE CENTRE OF THE MIDDLE 'BLIND' ARCH ON THE NORTH BRICK SCREEN TO THE MAIN PORTICO
DUKE OF YORKS HEADQUARTERS
Kings Rd
Chelsea
Kensington And Chelsea
Greater London
SW1 4RY
England

OS Grid Ref: TQ 270 770
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • Eaucourt Labbaye
    France
    France
    Outside British Isles

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: Undefined
Description
PINE CROSS WITH RED TRANSLUCENT PRESERVATIVE PAINT STANDING ON TWO-TIERED WHITE STEPS. BLACK PLAQUES WITH GOLD LETTERING ON CROSS. CROSSES RELOCATED FROM SOMME BATTLEFIELD WHERE A MEMORIAL CHILDRENS PLAYGROUND WAS ERECTED IN THEIR PLACE.
Inscription
CROSS: IN GLORIOUS MEMORY OF THE GALLANT OFFICERS, N.C.O.'S AND/ MEN WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE CAPTURE OF EAUCOURT LABBAYE/ 47TH LONDON DIVISION/ 1 OCT 1916 PLAQUE: 47TH (LONDON) DIVISION WAR MEMORIAL / THE WOODEN CROSS AND ITS COUNTERPART ON THE SOUTH SCREEN / WERE ORIGINALLY ERECTED IN 1916 BY DIVISIONAL ENGINEERS ON / THE SOMME BATTLEFIELD TO COMMEMORATE THE 15,567 OFFICERS / AND MEN OF THE 47TH (2ND LONDON) DIVISION TERRITORIAL ARMY / WHO DIED IN FRANCE AND FLANDERS. / AT THE INITIATIVE OF THE DIVISION AND THE COUNTY OF LONDON TERRITORIAL ASSOCIATION, THE TWO CROSSES, WHICH WERE FALLING INTO DISREPAIR, WERE RETURNED TO THE DUKE OF YORK'S / HEADQUARTERS IN 1925. IN THEIR PLACE IN FRANCE, A STONE / CROSS WAS ERECTED AT HIGH WOOD AND A CHILDREN'S PLAYGROUND / BUILT IN THE NEARBY VILLAGE OF MARTINPUICH TO BE 'A / MEMORIAL OF UTILITY RATHER THAN PURELY ORNAMENTAL'.
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Cross
    Measurements: depth C. 0.80M, height C. 4M, width C. 2.7M
    Materials: Wood - Pine
Listing information
Condition
History
Duke of York's HQ was sold in 2003: now Saatchi Gallery
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Western Front Association Bulletin by Western Front Association No.28 (Oct. 1990) p.19 Photo of cross with two Chelsea Pensioners

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-12077

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.