Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Brian Mawdsley
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Brian Mawdsley (WMR-11831)
- In the Crypt, Nelson Chamber, a sculpted marble wall panel with medallion portrait in relief of an Admiral, a Naval Coronet carved above and an armorial below. Representation of a man, facing left, with side-whiskers and wearing a high collar. Above is a Naval Coronet with inscription ('NAVARIN'); below is the memorial inscription and, at the base, an armorial with motto inscribed on scrolls. The white marble panel is affixed to a grey variegated marble back- panel fastened to the wall.
- Motto: VULTUS IN HOSTEM / TRIA JUNCTA IN UNO IN MEMORY OF/ ADMIRAL SIR EDWARD CODRINGTON G.C.B./ BORN 27TH OF APRIL 1770 DIED 28TH OF APRIL 1851/ HE ENTERED THE NAVY .../ ...LIEUTENANT OF H.M.S. "QUEEN CHARLOTTE" AT THE BATTLE OF THE FIRST OF JUNE 17../ COMMANDER .../ CAPTAIN OF H.M.S. "ORION" AT THE BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR 21ST OCTOBER 1805/ CAPTAIN OF H.M.S. "..." .../ SERVED .../... THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF OF THE ALLIED FLEETS OF ENGLAND, FRANCE AND .../ IN THE BATTLE OF NAVARIN 20TH OCTOBER 1827.
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Codrington, Edward
- Non-Combat Deaths
Total names on memorial: 1
Served and returned: Undefined
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,year died,forename,age of death,additional,decorations
Order of information: Undefined
- Non-Combat Deaths
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL by BURMAN, PETER P. 144-6 Source: Image Library NIWM
- St Paul's Cathedral Inventory iNV NO.2378
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]