Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Brian Mawdsley
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Brian Mawdsley (WMR-11747)
- In the Crypt, Nelson Chamber south west bay, a sculpted marble wall panel with a roundel portrait of a field marshal with a surround of palm branches and military trophies. The portrait represents a man with full side-whiskers, facing forward, and wearing epaulettes and medals. The medallion frame has a surround of palm branches and, at the base, a field marshal's baton and badges tied with ribbons. Below is the memorial inscription in raised lettering and the panel frame has continuous ornamentation of oak leaves and acorns; the panel inset in a variegated orange-brown marble back panel.
- FIELD MARSHAL / SIR JOHN LINTORN ARABIN SIMMONS. G.C.B: G.C.M.G. / COLONEL COMMANDANT ROYAL ENGINEERS. / BORN 1821. DIED 1903. / ERECTED BY HIS BROTHER OFFICERS.
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Simmons, John, Lintorn, Arabin
- Non-Combat Deaths
Total names on memorial: 1
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,forename,manner of death,age of death,decorations
Order of information: Undefined
- Non-Combat Deaths
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL by BURMAN, PETER P. 146 Source: Image Library NIWM
- St Paul's Cathedral Inventory Inv no.2388
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]