Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Brian Madwsley
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Brian Madwsley (WMR-11714)
- In the crypt, Nelson Chamber, a bust of him in his uniform, supported on bracket of books, representing his literary works. Figure of woman in relief as she kneels in mourning on the inscription pane. Sculpted marble standing wall monument with a bust of a general above a memorial panel carved in high relief with a figure of a kneeling woman. The bust represents a man with beard and long moustache, his head turned to the left, wearing an array of military medals. His collar and sash are embroidered with oak leaves and similar foliage lines the truncation of the bust. The bust sits on a pile of books with inscribed bindings, either side of which are crossed banners, cannon and laurel leaves. Below is a panel with the memorial inscription and, carved in high relief, a figure of a woman kneeling before a sword and clutching a wreath. Behind is a grey marble back-panel of pyramidal shape surmounted by a cross.
- TO THE MEMORY OF SIR CHARLES METCALFE MACGREGOR K.C.B. C.S.I.C.I.E. / BORN AT AGRA 13TH AUGUST 1840, / DIED AT CAIRO 5TH FEBRUARY 1887. / THIS MEMORIAL HAS BEEN ERECTED / BY HIS FRIENDS AND COMRADES / OF ALL RANKS, / WHO KNEW HIS WORTH AND WHO LOVED HIM. / THE SON OF A SOLDIER, / AND A SOLDIER AT AN EARLY AGE HIMSELF, / HE DEVOTED HIS LIFE / TO THE DUTIES OF HIS PROFESSION. / UNDAUNTED BY DIFFICULTIES, / COURTING DANGER, LOVING RESPONSIBILITY, / AS AN OFFICER, A LEADER, AN EXPLORER / UNSURPASSED. / A GOOD SON, / AN AFFECTIONATE HUSBAND, / A LOVING FATHER, / HE BECAME A GREAT EXAMPLE / OF WHAT A SOLDIER SHOULD BE.
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Macgregor, Charles, Metcalfe
- Non-Combat Deaths
Total names on memorial: 1
Served and returned: Undefined
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,year died,place of death,forename,age of death,additional,decorations
Order of information: Undefined
- Non-Combat Deaths
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- St Paul's Cathedral Inventory Inv no.2353
- The Times 9E/07 Feb 1887 obit
- DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ART VOLUME V BRITISH ARTISTS 1880-1940 by JOHNSON, J P. 21 Source: Image Library NIWM Published:ANTIQUE COLLECTORS CLUB 1994 WOODBRIDGE, SUFFOLK
- ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL by BURMAN, PETER P. 142 Source: Image Library NIWM no.111
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]