Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Brian Mawdsley
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Brian Mawdsley (WMR-11689)
- In the South Transept a marble free-standing monument with a pair of life-size statues of generals. The figure on the left has a long cloak which is draped over his right shoulder, his hands placed one on top of the other on the pommel of a sword; the figure on the right rests his hand on the other's shoulder and also has a sword and wears a cloak which is carried across his chest and falls over the shoulder of the other figure. The whole stands on a moulded surbase on a low rectangular pedestal with the memorial inscription on the front.
- ERECTED AT THE PUBLIC EXPENSE/ TO THE MEMORY OF/ MAJOR GENERABLE THE HONBLE. SIR EDWARD PAKENHAM, K.B./ AND OF/ MAJOR GENERAL SAMUEL GIBBS,/ WHO FELL GLORIOUSLY ON THE 8TH. OF JANUARY 1815,/ WHILE LEADING THE TROOPS TO AN ATTACK/ OF THE ENEMY
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Gibbs, Samuel
See details for all 2 names
- War of 1812 (1812-1815)
Total names on memorial: 2
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank, date of death,forename,manner of death,decorations
Order of information: Undefined
- War of 1812 (1812-1815)
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- St Paul's Cathedral Inventory Inv no.2488
- DICTIONARY OF BRITISH SCULPTORS 1660 - 1851 by GUNNIS, RUPERT p.426 Source: Image Library NIWM Published:MURRAYS SALES AND SERVICE CO. 1968 LONDON
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Sir Samuel Gibbs (1770-1815) Published:Oxford University Press 2004
- ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL by BURMAN, PETER P 161 Source: Image Library NIWM
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]