At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Chapel: Dedicated within church building
District
Brent
Town
Wembley
County
Greater London
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
MR HERBERT KENCHINGTON FRIBA
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: 20 March 1921
    Attended by: Bishop Montgomery
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
10987
Current location

In the north aisle.
St John the Evangelist Church
High Road
Wembley
Brent
Greater London
HA0 2HX
England

OS Grid Ref: TQ 17860 85121
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
Chapel with panels each side of the altar.
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Archer, Alfred T
Armitage, Geoffrey A
Athis, Francis W
Badcock, John T
Baker, Cyril A
Banson, Willie John
Barnes, Ernest John
Barnett, Harry W N
Basford, Thomas J
Batten, H
See details for all 132 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 170
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 170
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname,forename
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Panelling
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Unknown
Listing information
Condition
History
Originall 131 names on four panels. 37 names were added on a separate panel in 1922 and c 1925 170 names in all were recorded on six panels.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Private,public
Reference
  • Unveiling Programme/ Order of Service 20 March 1921 Dedication by Rev A E Hillard, DD, High Master of St Paul's School.
  • Harrow Observer and Gazette 1919-1925 Correspondence on names and the controversy about alterations.
  • The Times 30 March 1925 Report of case at Consistory Court of London. Petition by certain parishioners for a faculty to alter the panels, opposed by Vicar and churchwardens. Originally there were four panels, two each side of the altar, with 131 names in all. 37 additional names were later added on a panel on the north wall, and two further names had been omitted. It was agreed that all 170 names should be included on three panels each side of the altar, with the original 131 remaining in their present order.
  • Harrow Observer 25 March 1921 Report of dedication: Bishop Montgomery replaced the Rev Dr Hillard.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-10987

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.