At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Chapel: Dedicated within church building
District
Durham
Town
Durham
County
Durham
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Maker
William Douglas Caroe FSA, MR PILKINGTON JACKSON
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: 20th October 1923
    Attended by: Bishop of Durham
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
10230
Current location

The memorial is located in the regimental chapel.
Durham Cathedral
Dun Cow Lane
Durham
Durham
Durham
DH1 3ES
England

OS Grid Ref: NZ 27396 42143
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
REGIMENTAL CHAPEL WITH LARGE WOODEN SCREEN FEATURING A CENTRAL PANEL WITH DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY REGULAR, TERRITORIAL AND MILITIA BATTALION BADGES AND THE REGIMENTAL HISTORY. AT EITHER SIDE ARE PANELS WITH THE BATTLE HONOURS OF THE REGIMENT. THE CHAPEL ALSO COMMEMORATES THOSE MEMBERS OF THE REGIMENT WHO SERVED IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR.
Inscription
Original Panel: Dedicated to those members of the Regiment who laid down their lives in the Great War 1914-1919 (exact wording and line spacing unknown) Replacement Panel, centre: 1758 1968/ THE DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY/ (...) Replacement Panel, left and right: (Battle Honours)
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Screen
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood
Listing information
Condition
History
1968: Following the merge of the Durham Light Infantry with the Somerset and Cornwall, Shropshire and Yorkshire Light Infantries, it was decided that the central panel in the memorial screen be replaced with an inscription commemorating the 210 years of the Durham Light Infantry. Designed by Pilkington Jackson. 1923: Originally the screen was unveiled with a dedication to members of the Durham light Infantry who had laid down their lives in the Great War 1914-1919. This was designed by W D Caroe. Below the dedication was the regimental badge, flanked by the Arms of the See and of the Cathedral. Above the screen were the figures of St George and the Dragon, flanked by St Cuthbert and St Oswald. The woodwork is in the tradition of the 17th Century work of Bishop Cosin in the Cathedral.
Costs

Memorial: £1500

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Public
Responsibility
DURHAM CATHEDRAL
Reference
  • Guide to the Durham Light Infantry memorials in Durham Cathedral
  • Carter Postcard Collection

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-10230

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.