About this session
This is a unique chance for students to meet veterans and eyewitnesses from the Second World War to today, hearing their personal stories, asking questions and connecting through conversations.
We Were There encourages active exploration of the causes and consequences of war, and helps students understand the impact of war and conflict on people’s lives, and the variety of these experiences. Through personal stories, question-based learning and conversation students have a chance to get to know the people who were there, living through conflict. This is a unique and truly unforgettable experience.
Please note that due to the unique nature of this session, eyewitness availability may vary.
- Understand the impact of war on people’s lives and the variety of experiences
- Develop confidence in questioning and listening skills through collaborative conversations with adults and peers
National Curriculum Links
- Key Stage 2 English: Spoken Language
- Key Stage 2 History: a study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- Key Stage 2 Citizenship: Preparing to play an active role as citizens
“The session helped the pupils to think analytically and not just about history but about diversity, British values and life learning. They are now more aware of what is going on in the world and their place in it.” – Key Stage 2 Teacher
Availability for 2019
- Thursday 7th November
- Thursday 12th December Key Stage 3 only
Availability for 2020
- Tuesday January 14th
- Thursday January 16th (KS3 only)
- Tuesday January 21st
- Thursday January 23rd (KS3 only)
- Tuesday February 11th
- Thursday February 13th (KS3 only)
- Tuesday February 25th
- Thursday February 27th (KS3 only)
- Tuesday March 24th
- Thursday March 26th (KS3 only)
- Tuesday April 21st
- Thursday April 23rd (KS3 only)
- Tuesday May 19th
- Thursday May 21st (KS3 only)
- Tuesday June 23rd
- Thursday June 25th (KS3 only)
- Tuesday July 14th
- Thursday July 16th (KS3 only)
Booking is easy, you just need to follow the link below. We look forward to welcoming you to IWM.
Please ensure you read the Teacher's Notes for We Were There ahead of your visit.
Terms and Conditions
Please read our booking terms and conditions before your visit.