About this session
This is a unique chance for students to meet veterans and eyewitnesses from the Second World War to today, hearing their personal stories, asking questions and connecting through conversations.
We Were There encourages active exploration of the consequences of war, and helps students understand the impact of war and conflict on people’s lives, and the variety of these experiences. Through personal stories, question-based learning and conversation students have a chance to get to know the people who were there, living through conflict. This is a unique and truly unforgettable experience.
Please note that due to the unique nature of this session, eyewitness availability may vary.
- Understand the impact of war on people’s lives and the variety of experiences
- Develop confidence in questioning and listening skills through collaborative conversations with adults and peers
- Make connections across different experiences and time frames of individuals’ memories
National Curriculum Links
- Key Stage 2 English: Spoken Language
- Key Stage 2 History: a study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- Key Stage 2 Citizenship: Preparing to play an active role as citizens
- Key Stage 3 English: Use discussion in order to learn
- Key Stage 3 History: Know and understand how people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world;
- understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance, and use them to make connections, draw contrasts, analyse trends, frame historically-valid questions;
- understand the methods of historical enquiry, including how evidence is used rigorously to make historical claims, and discern how and why contrasting arguments and interpretations of the past have been constructed
“The session helped the pupils to think analytically and not just about history but about diversity, British values and life learning. They are now more aware of what is going on in the world and their place in it.” – Key Stage 2 Teacher
Booking is easy, you just need to follow the link below. We look forward to welcoming you to IWM.
Please ensure you read the Teacher's Notes for We Were There ahead of your visit.
Terms and Conditions
Please read our booking terms and conditions before your visit.